Baffle bolt rounded ( hex )

Having a bit of trouble? Maybe we can help.
Pacuk
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Baffle bolt rounded ( hex )

Post by Pacuk » 04 Apr 2015, 19:46

Can just about get the mole grips I have on it but not enough space to get a turn on it.. I've put some pLusgas on it and I'll see if I can get some smaller grips from somewhere..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stewslash
Reactions:

Post by stewslash » 04 Apr 2015, 19:49

I am a bit of a rough ass , but if all else fails i would knock the top of the dome head off, pref with a decent bit in a air chisel with a pull the baffle out and grab the remaining thread with mole grips and undo that way

Pacuk
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Pacuk » 04 Apr 2015, 21:29

Ordered some longnosed molegrips, if they fail I'll take the just smack it route

Cliff
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Cliff » 25 Apr 2015, 07:08

It's in a tight spot there. If the mole grips don't work, maybe file a couple of flat spots, one on each side and try again.
Give it a good soak in Plus-Gas penetrating fluid first and leave it overnight.
It's all about the TT ....

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 25 Apr 2015, 14:22

rumpoldstilskin wrote:Where are you? If you have one- cut a line across the diameter of the head and remove with a flat bladed screwdriver. (Use a cutting disc on a dremel. Come mine and use my tools of you haven't got one- I'm in all evening, ticketing with the Nelli)
Exacty the same happened to me with an Akra - Rumpold is spot on the money with his tip - As I couldn't get to the bolt from above (as it was just inside the pipe) I did what he suggested with a dremmel - once the groove was in the head, I got a flat screwdriver and light hammer and tapped it round - it came out very easily ...hope it works for you...

Pacuk
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Pacuk » 25 Apr 2015, 15:30

Tried the dremel and it wouldn't budge, managed to get mole grips on it and the weld gave way underneath and it just spun, Ended up sawing it and ordered some new bolts..

rjvader
Reactions:

Post by rjvader » 27 Apr 2015, 10:47

bit late but one thing to try if it happens again is to use a centre punch on the outside of the bolt if its not rediculously torqued...couple of hard whacks straight on to make a dint, and then hitting it at a slight angle to spin it round.

worked for me on a couple of rounded fairing bolts on the CBF a while back.