Smart meters

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:
Smart meters

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 05 Mar 2017, 09:42

I can't help but see a fatal flaw in them.....
The government reckons that by 2020 every eligible household in the Uk will have a smart meters and by watching real time spending, and changing habbits, the nation will save an estimated £6bn.....

Thats all well and good, but thats a £6bn less to the energy firms isn't it? Won't they just up the unit charge of the seperate utilities as always, thus rendering any saving null and void??

Meh.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Last edited by rumpoldstilskin on 28 Apr 2017, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

Jim27
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Smart meters

Post by Jim27 » 05 Mar 2017, 09:54

I won't allow smart meters in my home until they become compulsory.

They have the facility to disable your gas and electric remotely. In terms of an infrastructure target that's massively appealing both to hackers and to state-sponsored cyber attacks.

The data captured by the meter identifies your movements and when you use most energy. That allows them to tailor pricing packages. When in the history of commerce has a big utility supplier ever used that kind of data to REDUCE customers' bills (ie. reduce their own profits)?

Smart Meters are being touted as being "free". Bollocks. They're not. The energy companies are allowed to offer different tariffs to smart meter customers with higher energy costs to recoup the cost of the smart meter rollout. So by accepting a smart meter customers exclude themselves from some of the cheapest energy deals on the market.

There have been multiple instances of smart meters causing fires in both Australia and America (amongst others), all of which are being kept out of the press.

Ask yourself this single question - if your goal is to spend less on your energy, is that in the energy supplier's best interests? No. So then extrapolate an answer to whether or not the availablity of exact precise and time-stamped energy consumption data, along with the abilty to disconnect supplies from hundreds of miles away at the touch of a buutton, is likely to work in the energy company's best interests or the customers' best interests. Because if you think that those two competing interests are anything other than mutually exclusive then you're living in cloud cuckoo land.
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.

jaffa1963
Reactions:

Post by jaffa1963 » 05 Mar 2017, 11:59

I can't have a smart meter. My house is in poor signal area and the mains comes in under the stairs. They tried to install smart meter last year but it wouldn't get a phone signal so they had to put a bog standard meter back in.

I'm not sure if that makes me lucky or unlucky as it's a bastard getting all the crap from out of the cupboard when the meter man calls.

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 05 Mar 2017, 18:07

Smart meters or not. The ability to drop off load at critical times is how the energy companies maximise profit. Think about it, profit is all about the cost of generation versus the rate that can be charged. The alternative is to fire up another power station and potentially run it at half load. I run the Triads in the winter for our place. We have smart metering ( via SIM card) between the hours of 1630 and 1830 ( when most people are cooking tea and warming up their houses) the cost of a single unit rises from 43p to £43 ! turning off every last piece of non essential equipment saves a fortune for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Revving the bollox off it since 1982

mozzersaints
VIP
Reactions:

Post by mozzersaints » 12 Mar 2017, 12:57

Jim27 wrote:I won't allow smart meters in my home until they become compulsory.

They have the facility to disable your gas and electric remotely. In terms of an infrastructure target that's massively appealing both to hackers and to state-sponsored cyber attacks.

The data captured by the meter identifies your movements and when you use most energy. That allows them to tailor pricing packages. When in the history of commerce has a big utility supplier ever used that kind of data to REDUCE customers' bills (ie. reduce their own profits)?

Smart Meters are being touted as being "free". Bollocks. They're not. The energy companies are allowed to offer different tariffs to smart meter customers with higher energy costs to recoup the cost of the smart meter rollout. So by accepting a smart meter customers exclude themselves from some of the cheapest energy deals on the market.

There have been multiple instances of smart meters causing fires in both Australia and America (amongst others), all of which are being kept out of the press.

Ask yourself this single question - if your goal is to spend less on your energy, is that in the energy supplier's best interests? No. So then extrapolate an answer to whether or not the availablity of exact precise and time-stamped energy consumption data, along with the abilty to disconnect supplies from hundreds of miles away at the touch of a buutton, is likely to work in the energy company's best interests or the customers' best interests. Because if you think that those two competing interests are anything other than mutually exclusive then you're living in cloud cuckoo land.
Why do you always change shit to a boring rant, I'm convinced you are, Arnold rimmers alter ego, you know the one that wears the tshirt "give quiche a chance"
TO STRIVE,TO SEEK,TO FIND AND NOT TO YIELD

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 15 Mar 2017, 23:07

mozzersaints wrote:
Jim27 wrote:I won't allow smart meters in my home until they become compulsory.

Why do you always change shit to a boring rant, I'm convinced you are, Arnold rimmers alter ego, you know the one that wears the tshirt "give quiche a chance"
Lmao, on the side note and mention of quiche i went on a clinical trial this week and got paid £60 to eat a quiche and tell the doctor how it made me feel- no joke.

My Next one is about pre-judging people based on a profile, guessing i've probably been paid to take too many drugs now

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Jim27
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Jim27 » 17 Mar 2017, 08:19

mozzersaints wrote:Why do you always change shit to a boring rant, I'm convinced you are, Arnold rimmers alter ego, you know the one that wears the tshirt "give quiche a chance"
Better to have a meaningful rant with content than a long single-sentence whinge. Being honest, I'm also actually quite surprised that you haven't also moaned about my flippant and frankly controversial use of fullstops. x
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 17 Mar 2017, 12:48

Who you calling a Rimmer ?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Revving the bollox off it since 1982

Alb26
Reactions:

Post by Alb26 » 31 Mar 2017, 22:28

Both my meters are well buried in residual crappage in my garage which will involve some
clearance to get at em ... so I read em every month .. so until they make them compulsory
I perform meter reading duties ... nay probs

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 07 Apr 2017, 23:51

i have a smart meter its smart to ensure power is killed before bypassing it lol