Front Brakes Rubbing

Having a bit of trouble? Maybe we can help.
Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Front Brakes Rubbing

Post by Cabernet » 21 Apr 2016, 12:39

Ryan,
I'm only just up the road in Denton if you get stuck.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Ryan92
Reactions:

Post by Ryan92 » 22 Apr 2016, 18:28

Thanks for the help fellas I cleaned them up with my dad today everything moving nice and freely. All the seals are fine and it looks like I need some new pads as they've been wearing unevenly so I've ordered some. The wheels spins freely with a little rubbing and I can still hear the noise at speed so I'm assuming what I can hear is normal and I'll see if the new pads change anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 22 Apr 2016, 18:35

Jusr looked to see how you was getting on. Surpurised you can here them at speed. If the calipers free off after brake applying and allow the wheel to spin there can't be too much wrong.

Sent wrestling with Tapatalk.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Ryan92
Reactions:

Post by Ryan92 » 22 Apr 2016, 18:48

Cabernet wrote:Jusr looked to see how you was getting on. Surpurised you can here them at speed. If the calipers free off after brake applying and allow the wheel to spin there can't be too much wrong.

It might just be me being overly cautious, I can only hear it with my visor open and when I come off the throttle.

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 22 Apr 2016, 19:48

Put on stand. Face head on to the wheel spin it fast and watch very closely at that brake disc it could have a in tolerance bend that catches the pad hence you can hear it the faster u go

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Ryan92
Reactions:

Post by Ryan92 » 22 Apr 2016, 20:47

SMUDGER wrote:Put on stand. Face head on to the wheel spin it fast and watch very closely at that brake disc it could have a in tolerance bend that catches the pad hence you can hear it the faster u go

It could well be this, had a look just now and it's hard to see but there's a point that sounds like it's catching on each revolution. Is getting the braking faces skimmed an option here to get them flat, or is it just a replace job?

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 22 Apr 2016, 21:20

Well my way to bend back involves tools but the old timers here will just disagree and give 101 reasons why you shouldnt

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 22 Apr 2016, 21:27

If the brake does not judder when applied and the brake feel is constant, leave well alone.

Ryan92
Reactions:

Post by Ryan92 » 22 Apr 2016, 21:42

Cabernet wrote:If the brake does not judder when applied and the brake feel is constant, leave well alone.

Braking is fine, I'll leave it as is and just keep my eye on it.

pch1
VIP
Reactions:

Post by pch1 » 25 Apr 2016, 14:26

Ryan92 wrote:
SMUDGER wrote:Put on stand. Face head on to the wheel spin it fast and watch very closely at that brake disc it could have a in tolerance bend that catches the pad hence you can hear it the faster u go

It could well be this, had a look just now and it's hard to see but there's a point that sounds like it's catching on each revolution. Is getting the braking faces skimmed an option here to get them flat, or is it just a replace job?
Skimming discs is not an option.
Skim a disc with too fine a finish and you can land up arse over tit (front wheel lock up).
Some brake discs eventually get hard spots (often incorrectly identified as warped disc) in them, no amount of skimming will change the material properties of the disc.

The correct thing to do is to replace both disc and brake pad, if the disc is worn beyond specification, with grooves etc and the brake pad has taken its shape.