Blood biker stratergy puts lives at risk.

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Blood biker stratergy puts lives at risk.

Post by Cabernet » 14 Aug 2015, 20:09

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ls-9824014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had they used bike couriers, the courier firm would be better sourced to cope with this sort of thing.
Another flaw in the volunteer blood biker strategy.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

lee
Reactions:
Re: Blood biker stratergy puts lives at risk.

Post by lee » 14 Aug 2015, 20:29

Off the road with a broken steering lock?

Slight over reaction?...

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 14 Aug 2015, 20:35

Well, the keystone wannabe's can't be seen on something that looks less than perfect can they?

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Dooffle
Reactions:

Post by Dooffle » 15 Aug 2015, 11:01

Not sure why you're having a dig at these boys Kev.

They perform a service free of charge via donations, the guys give their time for free and provide their own bikes. Couriers as you know would charge the hard up NHS a small mortgage for this. I know it's not the best situation and the NHS should have their own support but that's the way it is. For some reason it's not a priority.
This police also used to transport urgent packages but as we all complain about the council rates and how much the old bill get paid, the fact they have a pension, they are reluctant.

Maybe we should all pay another 0.1% national insurance that should cover this service on a full time basis.

Anyway they should be able to get the bike fixed now, http://www.bloodbikesmanchester.co.uk/i ... anchester/

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 15 Aug 2015, 14:05

They do couriers work for free.
It is more complicated than this, but simplistically, riders and the light haulage industry have a revenue stream cut off putting couriers on welfare. So that which used to be called the DHSS bears the burden of supporting these couriers or those they displace in other work, stripping them of self worth in the process.
Back in the day, when contractors were called in to do striking workers jobs those contractors were labelled. The contractors were paid a lower wage. Doing someone's work for free is even lower (in my eyes at least) than doing it cheaper. You can bet somewhere some fat cat will be getting a tax write off out of this too, reducing funds for the NHS and other state run organisations. I am sure Morrisons will claim something back and get the advertising to boot free.
Now I am all for fund raising the air ambulance or spinal units where people will gain paid work out of it. But displacing vocations is wrong.

C-J
Reactions:

Post by C-J » 15 Aug 2015, 16:29

Would a similar argument be, never help out a fellow biker with maintenance because it puts mechanics out of work?? Never help somebody broken down because it puts the RAC out of business.

Or is your argument because this is setup as a charity???

So maybe we shouldn't give money to the Samiritans because it's putting NHS councellors out of work??

I understand this may have personally affected you as a former courier, but was the revenue for out of hours NHS work really a significant revenue stream for a typical courier??

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 15 Aug 2015, 17:05

That's a big leap C-J. Friends are always going to help friends out. Helping a stranded motorist that we stumble upon is a bit different to setting up an organisation that undermines an industry or part there of.

And I did move blood out of hours for private sector hospitals and laboratories. After the financial crash late lad decade, private sector medical became the bread and butter income.

On the face of it, that which blood bikers do appears good and noble. Peel back the layers and the justification becomes less apparent as I have started to do here. However, because the riders enjoy public praise and the public like the perception of free or charity funded, few wish to really get a grasp of the implications.

You're an intelligent man C-J. Set a side your "discredit Cab's at all costs" stance and think through the ramifications and I am confident you'll reach a similar conclusion. Said my piece here. Enjoy the debate you all.

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 15 Aug 2015, 21:25

Cabernet wrote:They do couriers work for free.
It is more complicated than this, but simplistically, riders and the light haulage industry have a revenue stream cut off putting couriers on welfare. So that which used to be called the DHSS bears the burden of supporting these couriers or those they displace in other work, stripping them of self worth in the process.
Back in the day, when contractors were called in to do striking workers jobs those contractors were labelled. The contractors were paid a lower wage. Doing someone's work for free is even lower (in my eyes at least) than doing it cheaper. You can bet somewhere some fat cat will be getting a tax write off out of this too, reducing funds for the NHS and other state run organisations. I am sure Morrisons will claim something back and get the advertising to boot free.
Now I am all for fund raising the air ambulance or spinal units where people will gain paid work out of it. But displacing vocations is wrong.
Are you baiting or do you really believe that?

What a proper load of shit. You're not an idiot by any stretch so you must know it's shit, but I'm really surprised you even posted it

C-J
Reactions:

Post by C-J » 15 Aug 2015, 22:08

I do get where you coming from... If someone tried to do my job for free id be pissed! And I also believe there are some in it just to parade around in hiviz playing pretend a cop...

But I also see the other side of the argument. Public sector funding is pitiful. These guys are trying to help. As you said, make the most out of the private sector medical. Trouble is they get most of their money back doir through public funding now...

I don't think there is anything as malicious as you suggest though. I knew a few of the SERV guys down near London when they were setting up and they seemed very professional and dedicated to helping, not making money

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 16 Aug 2015, 01:24

With respect to all points of the discussion, the general argument calls into question the whole of what we call the '3rd sector'.

Charities in general undertake a lot of essential services that should be provided by government - hospices, cancer research, social services, care for the disabled - even buying equipment for government departments (NHS / Schools) - then you have the lottery for which the government use the proceeds to fund their own initiatives ( heritage, arts and culture, sport, education, community schemes).

Essentially if the government can discharge it's services to those who will do it for nothing, then it's happy as Larry - it seems a shame to blame the volunteers when it is largely government who are responsible for washing their hands of things they should be providing ... Just my view....