Results day.

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
Barts dad
Reactions:
Results day.

Post by Barts dad » 13 Aug 2015, 11:34

Has anyone else been waiting for their kids A level results today?
The atmosphere in our house has just been getting worse as the day has got nearer. Daughter has been stressed to fook.
Well she was up and out early this morning for her results.
Thank goodness she got the results she required to get her into her first choice of University.
Needless to say we are very proud of her.

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Results day.

Post by Soviet » 13 Aug 2015, 12:39

Good stuff ! My lad got his AS results today - same thing!- moody as f&*k all week ! Not top results tbh but plenty to work on in his second year - all positive ... it is hard work !

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 13 Aug 2015, 13:08

It gets me that society is still obsessed with academia. We've got loads of graduates at our place that are absolutely fucking clueless. No common sense. Can't use their hands for anything other than playing email tennis. Hard work, interest in a career field and a will to succeed should be most kids direction. Sadly tho most parents want their kids to go to university so they can brag about it down the pub! Lets see how they feel when the kids still at home at 35 with a huge debt, a mediocre job and no chance of getting a mortgage. Here endeth the lesson
Revving the bollox off it since 1982

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 13 Aug 2015, 14:24

...sadly having a degree now is like having A levels twenty or 30 years back - so many people have them just to get in the hunt for a decent job.

Even sadder is that that there are f*&^ all jobs for 18-25 year olds anyway given the f*&%ed up UK economy and decimated employment situation and the lost legend that used to be 'learning a trade' and 'apprenticeships' - kids have little choice in the matter despite their application and commitment to finding work... and then they'll most likely have to look forward to £250k mortgages by the time they want to start a family..no wonder some of them feel despondent...

I don't think most parents are after bragging rights, they are just generally sh*tting it about their kids future...

Barts dad
Reactions:

Post by Barts dad » 13 Aug 2015, 22:31

Soviet wrote:...sadly having a degree now is like having A levels twenty or 30 years back - so many people have them just to get in the hunt for a decent job.

Even sadder is that that there are f*&^ all jobs for 18-25 year olds anyway given the f*&%ed up UK economy and decimated employment situation and the lost legend that used to be 'learning a trade' and 'apprenticeships' - kids have little choice in the matter despite their application and commitment to finding work... and then they'll most likely have to look forward to £250k mortgages by the time they want to start a family..no wonder some of them feel despondent...

I don't think most parents are after bragging rights, they are just generally sh*tting it about their kids future...
I couldn't have worded it better.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Marco
Reactions:

Post by Marco » 14 Aug 2015, 01:47

Tbh I think some parents especially ones who have been in the same job for so long they still think u can walk out of one job in the morning and get another that afternoon they think just because my kids got degrees and shit they will get a great job and be set for life they don't realise that it's not that easy. And as for apprenticeships and learning a trade u are screwed if u have to go to college to get the qualification coz someone else has done an apprenticeship and has more experience then u so there chosen first. And apprenticeships want u to get good grades too. So if u leave school with anything less then c's things are difficult and the fact so many ppl are unemployed companies can get away with paying min wage for everything and get u working like there is no tomorrow coz "there are plenty more ppl who will fill ur boots in a second" and I no ppl are winging bout migrants and that well I have worked in factories and they basically run the place coz they all talk to each other and there payed more then full staff and don't work as hard or as long. We never used to get a choice in overtime while they couldn't make the agency lot stay past there hours

pch1
VIP
Reactions:

Post by pch1 » 14 Aug 2015, 08:28

Marco wrote:... and I no ppl are winging bout migrants and that well I have worked in factories and they basically run the place coz they all talk to each other and there payed more then full staff and don't work as hard or as long. We never used to get a choice in overtime while they couldn't make the agency lot stay past there hours
Hmmm sour grapes?
I started working in the UK at Kingsmill bakery near Reading; there were many of us foreigners working there. It was cheaper to hire us to put lids on the bread tins and then remove them again after they had been through the ovens than repair the machinery that did it.

Don't work harder, work smarter Image
You don't need much to succeed, except the desire and dogged determination to succeed.
I don't have GCSE's and my qualifications aren't recognised in the UK, but show me an open door of opportunity and by God I'll wedge my foot so hard in that open door that they'll never be able to shut it on me.

PS Due to my own greed (or rather a dissatisfaction of what I have), I haven't managed a good work/life balance yet, but hopefully in a few years I'll get the balance right (Depeche Mode 101).

Marco
Reactions:

Post by Marco » 14 Aug 2015, 11:11

pch1 wrote:
Marco wrote:... and I no ppl are winging bout migrants and that well I have worked in factories and they basically run the place coz they all talk to each other and there payed more then full staff and don't work as hard or as long. We never used to get a choice in overtime while they couldn't make the agency lot stay past there hours
Hmmm sour grapes?
I started working in the UK at Kingsmill bakery near Reading; there were many of us foreigners working there. It was cheaper to hire us to put lids on the bread tins and then remove them again after they had been through the ovens than repair the machinery that did it.

Don't work harder, work smarter Image
You don't need much to succeed, except the desire and dogged determination to succeed.
I don't have GCSE's and my qualifications aren't recognised in the UK, but show me an open door of opportunity and by God I'll wedge my foot so hard in that open door that they'll never be able to shut it on me.

PS Due to my own greed (or rather a dissatisfaction of what I have), I haven't managed a good work/life balance yet, but hopefully in a few years I'll get the balance right (Depeche Mode 101).
Nope not sour at all just stating previous experience. There was no one in there that had qualifications to do my job but they where taught how to do it by someone else there, it was kinda passed down as the company didn't want to train ppl as it ment paying them more. Don't get me wrong working there could be shit for them as they turned up that morning to find out if there was work that day or not. But I complained about an agency worker as was told I just had to deal with it as they wont say anything to them just move them around the factory even tho they where useless don't get me wrong not all of them where bad just a select few compared to how many of them there was but I don't see why they pay more money for agency then they do full time staff as they have to cover there wages plus the cost charged by the agency's so they cost more then full time staff and carnt be forced to work over time and that. I didn't like working for the company which is why I left. By the comment about the foreign workers was because they add to the amount of ppl looking for work and because so many are looking for work wages go down and they treat u worse if u don't or carnt do exactly what they ask coz it's too much work they sack u. That's why so many companies have 6 month probation period coz they don't have to give a reason to sack u then

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 14 Aug 2015, 11:37

I think there are actually more Brits living and working abroad than there are foreign workers residing in the UK...so it all balances out - the issue is the lack of options and career openings for young people - for example the construction industry went on its arse after the crash but is picking up big style - did 'construction UK' or the government support training and apprenticeships properly to meet future demand? - no ! Because it costs money - they now can't get anywhere near enough the numbers of technical and trades staff - so what do these English / UK companies do ? They invite in labour from the EU - people don't just turn up, they are invited in by UK business owners looking for skilled experienced work forces - the same goes for low paid work - UK doleys won't do the work for the rates on offer but other EU workers will ...it's all about poor organisation and UK businesses not wanting to invest in the future....

Marco
Reactions:

Post by Marco » 14 Aug 2015, 12:17

Too true soviet but why would they invest when they don't need to they don't care who does the work as long as it gets done and if they can pay min for ppl who have the skills they will it makes sense for business getting most for ur money just leaves youth unemployment in a really shit state