iPhone banking

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
Dave
Reactions:
iPhone banking

Post by Dave » 23 Jul 2015, 20:44

been sent this by a friend ….very scary story if you use the phone for banking

Our bank account was hacked and £1000 was taken out before the bank security software kicked in and blocked the account .
My wife uses the iPhone ( 5s model ) to check the account , do transfers etc. She uses a long unique password ( just she knows it )to log in and she is quiet savvy about online fraud , is part of her job .

So what happened : the hacker went in the account and set up two names on the account for internet money transfer . He/Her changed my wife's phone number to a different one , so when the special 4 digit security pin was sent out, it went to his phone , the transfers functions now are live and he managed to transfer the money in chunks of £330 at a time to the nominated new names, the theft happened before midnight and just after midnight on Friday - Saturday .

The bank did send her a text on Friday night , telling her that her mobile number in the account was changed and if it wasn't her to call asap a number at Lloyds . She was at a function at the time and the phone was turned off , following day there was no new text showing , but the text was on the phone, only now was the 20th in line so off screen. On Saturday the bank called and my son took the call , but he forgot to tell us about the call

On Monday we noticed that we couldn't access the account! The rest is history...

According to Lloyds fraud officer : 1. she has a virus on the phone , 2. she accessed the account in a free unprotected WIFI zone , 3. an SMS or a picture virus.

The phone now is with the IT at work , she tried to download antivirus programmes to the phone but it was not possible, something was blocking the download . The bank refunded the money and the account is live again . But is quiet amazing how they managed to access the account .
Be safe be careful ...and don't do on line banking from unprotected phone or PC.
:

Barts dad
Reactions:
Re: iPhone banking

Post by Barts dad » 23 Jul 2015, 22:53

Very concerning indeed. Unfortunately this type of crime will continue until they catch one of the fookers and cause them incredible pain in a public domain. By the way have you given your son a slap round the head yet?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

CRM
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CRM » 24 Jul 2015, 12:06

Ok, i am all for online security - but this just doesn't sound right.
All the above sounds typical if someone has the correct login details and normal procedure to extract funds.

however without access to the original phone then none of this can be done. also the 5S uses fingerprint to authenticate via the lloyds app.

Phone now with IT in work - and cant download the AV program to it - lol it's an iPhone not some android device. get it back from them quick before they try to pry it open instead.

This sounds more like someone has used the phone knowing the banking credentials and passwords, inside job or just left it lying around at home.
Upgrade your account to VIP status to enable the Signature feature.

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:

Post by cupidstunt » 24 Jul 2015, 14:24

Fortunately i dont have this problem as i have no bastid money for the fookers to pinch
:geek: HEAD PERVERT :geek:

Marco
Reactions:

Post by Marco » 24 Jul 2015, 14:26

The 5s does have the finger scan thing but u can turn it off

bloke
Reactions:

Post by bloke » 24 Jul 2015, 16:23

i reckon it's your classic internet bullshit rumor...says it on fookbook so must be true. same as all the white vans going round with 'eastern europeans' in them trying to snatch kids off every street corner.

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 24 Jul 2015, 18:06

i do believe it too be true….

i have heard they can plant some virus on your phones ,that picks up the websites your using and the keys your pressing on the phone to enter that site !

the criminals always seem to be one step ahead of the software developers for some reason
:

Marco
Reactions:

Post by Marco » 24 Jul 2015, 18:38

If it's connected to the internet they can hack it

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 24 Jul 2015, 23:36

CRM wrote:Ok, i am all for online security - but this just doesn't sound right.
All the above sounds typical if someone has the correct login details and normal procedure to extract funds.

however without access to the original phone then none of this can be done. also the 5S uses fingerprint to authenticate via the lloyds app.

Phone now with IT in work - and cant download the AV program to it - lol it's an iPhone not some android device. get it back from them quick before they try to pry it open instead.

This sounds more like someone has used the phone knowing the banking credentials and passwords, inside job or just left it lying around at home.
I'm with Paul on this one. Never heard of a '4 digit pin' being sent to complete transactions. I bank with a few major banks on my mobile and its by far safer than using a card.

1- the app is locked to your number
2- uses a long password
3- your IP address is logged and generally only allowed to do it through mobile internet and not the WiFi
4- online transactions/mobile transactions are generally though visa and thus protected
5- when you send someone an amount only their mobile number (someone without an account) they have to know the exact amount in order to collect it and that will all be traces as it can only be done inside a bank.
6- cloning phones is much more difficult these days
7- the iphone 4 onwards tracks everything you do, GPS position inc lonh/lat/alt/speed/temp/time/closest land bases router etc etc.
8- an app is linked to 1 phone number and phone only, cannot be used on more than one device.
9- with all this it is very very hard to defraud someone using mobile banking unless, like someone said, the phone is in their possession.

Sound avery suspect, like a facebook nonsense story that some spotty vegan has made up to try and cause a stir and maybe direct traffic to an online Vlog/blog etc

If it has happened, use the eld Motorola M3788e as it runs on AA batteries and can just about text message with the thing and the good old trusty folding banknote and an xmas card in the post.

Cliff
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Cliff » 25 Jul 2015, 07:19

The son did it.
Or possibly the butler......

I rest my case.
It's all about the TT ....