Paying for online content - opinions?

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:
Paying for online content - opinions?

Post by Clarkey » 26 Dec 2016, 13:56

G'day

Just a random post that I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences in...

Do any of you pay individually for online content which you can get for free anyway? By this I mean things like Wikipedia donations, the guardian, Patreon (for shows such as ' Fully Charged' by Robert Llewellyn), independent sites like motomatters.com?

Currently I shamefully don't, but in the new year I intend to set up a few. My reasoning is that we're used to paying subscriptions for things like mobile phones, sky, etc etc, but this is a new way to ensure the people creating the content you like can continue to do so freely without commercial interest and over use of advertisement and sponsorship. I enjoy the above content and want to support it

Just curious if any of you do similar already, or intend to? Might be a good way to hear about other less-mainstream content we'd be interested in

Here's mine...

Motomatters.com - independent motorbike journalist. Covers MotoGP mainly, really good and links to PhotoGP who produces amazing photos too

https://m.youtube.com/user/fullychargedshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Robert Llewellyn (Kryten!) has been running this YouTube show about electric vehicles (cars mainly, but also scooters and cycles, and he intends to do proper motorbikes in the future) and renewable tech for a few years, I really enjoy these episodes. Support via patreon

TheGuardian.com - obviously a uk newspaper, but one of the good ones in my opinion, worth keeping around. On a similar note the dailymail should be shut down, horrendous biased hate provoking shite

I'm fairly sure i don't need to say what Wikipedia is, and you can donate to support that site too

Live Forever or Die Trying

lee
Reactions:
Re: Paying for online content - opinions?

Post by lee » 26 Dec 2016, 16:48

Nope.
Happy to let those with money to burn pay for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 26 Dec 2016, 17:36

I pay only because I have no choice as I need my nline if there was a way round it I wouldn't lol but $5 a month for all sky lol and no kodi is no comparrisom oh and I did donate £10 to wiki last week as a notification came up when I was on it

bloke
Reactions:

Post by bloke » 26 Dec 2016, 19:39

don't pay if i don't have to...shit you should see what i have from hotel rooms, if it ain't nailed down and fits through the door it's complimentary!!

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 26 Dec 2016, 22:02

Is there anything you use that doesn't have an alternative revenue stream though (i.e. adverts mainly?)... I'd love an advert free world, especially the ones you can't skip

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 26 Dec 2016, 22:16

I'm with Clarkey on the adverts saga, when youtube sold out to Google it went down the shitter IMHO, forced advertising and tracking cookies wtf. Everytime i have a little love affair with some old skool Eurthymics or ACDC i get constant adverts popping up for whatever i've been searching for on google, really yanks my chain.

I pay for Netflix and that is purely because i don't have to sit through any adverts and i chose what i watch not forced by what else is being shown, football etc.

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:

Post by cupidstunt » 27 Dec 2016, 15:59

rumpoldstilskin wrote:I'm with Clarkey on the adverts saga, when youtube sold out to Google it went down the shitter IMHO, forced advertising and tracking cookies wtf. Everytime i have a little love affair with some old skool Eurthymics or ACDC i get constant adverts popping up for whatever i've been searching for on google, really yanks my chain.

I pay for Netflix and that is purely because i don't have to sit through any adverts and i chose what i watch not forced by what else is being shown, football etc.
Download ad blocker plus and install its completely free and works a treat.
:geek: HEAD PERVERT :geek:

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 27 Dec 2016, 16:00

cupidstunt wrote:
rumpoldstilskin wrote:I'm with Clarkey on the adverts saga, when youtube sold out to Google it went down the shitter IMHO, forced advertising and tracking cookies wtf. Everytime i have a little love affair with some old skool Eurthymics or ACDC i get constant adverts popping up for whatever i've been searching for on google, really yanks my chain.

Download ad blocker plus and install its completely free and works a treat.
How do the content makers get paid for their work? For big companies meh, but i'm talking about small ones. If they don't make money they stop making the content - if you like it that seems bad?

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:

Post by cupidstunt » 27 Dec 2016, 16:06

If they are not making money they wouldnt do it.
:geek: HEAD PERVERT :geek:

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 27 Dec 2016, 16:40

cupidstunt wrote:If they are not making money they wouldnt do it.
That's my point :)