windows 10

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
pip
VIP
Reactions:
windows 10

Post by pip » 17 Jul 2016, 20:04

for those who don't know. The free upgrade to windows 10 ends this month. If your interested here's the link to get

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows ... n10upgrade

worked with my windows 7 not sure about others.

I didn't like it at first but now getting use to it.
don't do this upgrade if you don't know what your doing. :lol:

Daveace22
Reactions:
Re: windows 10

Post by Daveace22 » 17 Jul 2016, 20:25

I didn't like it at 1st either but now I've got my head round it it's better than the last by a mile all the stupid app buttons have been taken off thank god

Sent via bumblebee's radio

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 19 Jul 2016, 19:24

Warming to it. Seems stable, even on my old laptop.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 19 Jul 2016, 21:07

Only free for 12 months then subscription I myself much prefers Linux

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 19 Jul 2016, 22:16

SMUDGER wrote:Only free for 12 months then subscription I myself much prefers Linux
Pretty sure that's bullshit... completely free upgrade if you had an official copy of 7 or 8 I believe, but as per the original post it is a time limited offer so if you try after that date then you'll have to pay

Linux is excellent, but not quite for Joe public as we've all been brought up on Windows and you can't say it's quite as intuitive... But you get massive flexibility and customisation, so it's pros and cons. Having said that i've got Cub Linux (mix of chromium os and ubuntu) running on my old laptop, and it is bloody handy, the boot time ready to go is unbelievable for the age of the thing, and I've not had to fuck about with it at all. What distro do you use?

Live Forever or Die Trying

Barts dad
Reactions:

Post by Barts dad » 19 Jul 2016, 23:02

Someone who my good lady works with had real problems when they downloaded this. It totally fooked up their lap top. As a result I have been sitting on the fence. Should I or shouldn't I?
If I don't download it what effect will it have other than it costing me money after the cut off date?
Surely when we get a new one eventually it will come with Windows 10 already on it!
As you can tell I'm no PCs wiz kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 19 Jul 2016, 23:40

Barts dad wrote:Someone who my good lady works with had real problems when they downloaded this. It totally fooked up their lap top. As a result I have been sitting on the fence. Should I or shouldn't I?
If I don't download it what effect will it have other than it costing me money after the cut off date?
Surely when we get a new one eventually it will come with Windows 10 already on it!
As you can tell I'm no PCs wiz kid. Image

I held off for a while, but more laziness than anything... I'd imagine Windows 10 will be more secure and better supported? That's based on guesswork though.

You'll always get horror stories of the odd case, but I've not known anyone who had problems, and mine has between fine, I'd just do it personally

Barts dad
Reactions:

Post by Barts dad » 20 Jul 2016, 00:09

I'll have what your saying. But if I don't download it what are the disadvantages?
My life will not be affected by not having the latest soft wear.

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 20 Jul 2016, 12:55

Clarkey wrote:
Barts dad wrote:Someone who my good lady works with had real problems when they downloaded this. It totally fooked up their lap top. As a result I have been sitting on the fence. Should I or shouldn't I?
As you can tell I'm no PCs wiz kid. Image

I held off for a while, but more laziness than anything... I'd imagine Windows 10 will be more secure and better supported? That's based on guesswork though.

You'll always get horror stories of the odd case, but I've not known anyone who had problems, and mine has between fine, I'd just do it personally

I have syslinux on a desktop I don't do gaming so serves me well

And yes if I remember correctly Microsoft were doing windows 10 on a rental basis like office 365 as of the upgrade to 10 I was under impression it was 12 month trial

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 20 Jul 2016, 16:44

Barts dad wrote:I'll have what your saying. But if I don't download it what are the disadvantages?
My life will not be affected by not having the latest soft wear.

No life changing ones for sure. It'll just receive fewer updates which mean over time it'll be less secure which is the main reason for I'd think, and perhaps not be quite as nice to use, but it's not crucial