Sat nav recommendations please

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
lee
Reactions:
Re: Sat nav recommendations please

Post by lee » 14 Aug 2016, 13:14

Clarkey wrote:Sorry for the thread revival but my Dad wants a satnav, and I prefer using my phone so not looked at them for years

From the above am I right that TomTom is still seen as the best?

Looking through the tomtom range, I can see the more expensive ones come with wider map updates, can update over the air etc, plus the obvious larger screens etc, and some of them can be used on car and bikes (i.e. waterproof, can be used with gloves etc), but is there anything else to consider which would make the more expensive ones worth the money?

Again - I think google maps / navigation is the best, but my Dad wants a separate unit so that's why I'm looking

Cheers for any advice
I bought a tomtom off ebay for £40.
As new and saved me over £100.
I will check the model later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trev
Reactions:

Post by Trev » 14 Aug 2016, 15:21

I use tomtom app on a tablet.
Includes live traffic and free map updates for £15 a year.
Can't buy a dedicated sat nav for that price.
As its purchased with your email it's available on several devices and across platforms.
I use a Samsung tab 3 8" in the truck, and it's also on my iPhone 6 Plus and my galaxy j5 phones.
All for the one £15 payment.
The live traffic is brilliant, can't praise it enough.

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 14 Aug 2016, 18:41

lee wrote:
Clarkey wrote:Sorry for the thread revival but my Dad wants a satnav, and I prefer using my phone so not looked at them for years

Looking through the tomtom range, I can see the more expensive ones come with wider map updates, can update over the air etc, plus the obvious larger screens etc, and some of them can be used on car and bikes (i.e. waterproof, can be used with gloves etc), but is there anything else to consider which would make the more expensive ones worth the money?

Again - I think google maps / navigation is the best, but my Dad wants a separate unit so that's why I'm looking

Cheers for any advice

Cheers dude. Did it come with map updates for a certain time?

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 14 Aug 2016, 18:42

Trev wrote:I use tomtom app on a tablet.
As its purchased with your email it's available on several devices and across platforms.
I use a Samsung tab 3 8" in the truck, and it's also on my iPhone 6 Plus and my galaxy j5 phones.
Does the app download all the map information to your device, or load it over the air as you use it? I think the advantage of the dedicated device is having all the maps downloaded so you don't need a data signal. I know you can download certain areas with google, but that involves forward planning, and if you don't know where you're going to end up again that's an advantage of having everything downloaded

Just out of curiousity, if you're using it on your phone/tablet why don't you use google maps / navigation? That's free, and has all the live update etc?

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 14 Aug 2016, 20:32

Clarkey wrote:
lee wrote:

Cheers for any advice

Cheers dude. Did it come with map updates for a certain time?
Dont think so.
You can download the maps from torrent sites if you need them.
Never had to tho tbh

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 14 Aug 2016, 20:57

This is the one i bought.
Not the latest or fanciest, but a bloody bargain and works a treat.

You can subscribe for the live stuff if that floats your boat.
I just bought it and used it as is.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/TomTom-XL ... Nav-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev
Reactions:

Post by Trev » 14 Aug 2016, 21:10

Clarkey wrote:
Trev wrote:I use tomtom app on a tablet.
Does the app download all the map information to your device, or load it over the air as you use it? I think the advantage of the dedicated device is having all the maps downloaded so you don't need a data signal. I know you can download certain areas with google, but that involves forward planning, and if you don't know where you're going to end up again that's an advantage of having everything downloaded

Just out of curiousity, if you're using it on your phone/tablet why don't you use google maps / navigation? That's free, and has all the live update etc?

For the reason you mention.
Google maps is streaming and chews through data.
Tomtom installs on the device and just streams the live service.
It uses next to nothing for the live updates.
Tomtom also is so user friendly, by far the best ui out there.
All down to personal tastes tho.

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 14 Aug 2016, 23:07

Lee - cheers for the replies. I'll have a scan on ebay

Trev - fair enough. I've never really thought about it too much as I only use Sat Nav occasionally and always have loads of data left. I notice phones seem to eat juice when satnav is on too, especially slightly older models

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 15 Aug 2016, 13:00

I've always used copilot I find it perfect but that's on big screen phone I get traffic updates and stuff magically free lol, there are a few bike specific sat nav on eBay pretty decent priced

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 07 Dec 2018, 00:22

C-J wrote:
16 Apr 2016, 17:38
Maps are for losers.... Navigating by star constellations is where it's at... Them new fangled paper things will never catch on... burn that technology!
I bet there were some glad of their maps and navigation skill yesterday, with loads of O2 lemmings lost and / or clueless.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,