Need a sparkie

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
gingerb
Reactions:
Re: Need a sparkie

Post by gingerb » 17 Dec 2015, 08:18

wow that a mine of info - was gonna have a go myself but as I.ve got no contents insurance and prob more important absolutely no experience of leccy think I might get a spark in :?

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 17 Dec 2015, 11:44

SMUDGER wrote:Anyone can wire a cooker to a standalone cooker fuse spur you don't need nic eis but it is illegal to touch the consumer unit

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
Illegal?
No.
You can do all your own electrical work, so long as it conforms to the regs.
However I'd never give advice on how to do stuff as I'm not a domestic installer.
And neither should anyone else tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 17 Dec 2015, 12:19

lee wrote:
SMUDGER wrote:Anyone can wire a cooker to a standalone cooker fuse spur you don't need nic eis but it is illegal to touch the consumer unit

Illegal?
No.
You can do all your own electrical work, so long as it conforms to the regs.
However I'd never give advice on how to do stuff as I'm not a domestic installer.
And neither should anyone else tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I for one would certainly want to pull the big main fuse and by cutting the lead tag that's were it becomes illegal but most new builds have a fuse in-between this and the consumer unit so yes you are right

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 17 Dec 2015, 17:02

gingerb wrote: no experience of leccy think I might get a spark in :?
Great decision….this would be more important than a Puncture…..that can wait till after xmas
:

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 20 Dec 2015, 00:49

Got a good spark who does our electrics, cheap too, but very deaf so messages are best to notify him of jobs.
If you are liverpool area he'll be the man you need and so you know it'll probably need a 40amp fused supply, regs are changing for domestic electrics in feb.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 20 Dec 2015, 07:03

Dave wrote:most modern cookers are 2kw and work off a 13amp Fused plug..the cable will be 1 or 1.5mm….pop one of these on and put into a normal socket
I agree this is the case with single ovens, but I thought double ovens needed to be hard wired. When I had dry rot and gutted the kitchen I did a full re-wire of the points and lights, re-plumb including mains water supply and re-pipe of the central heating. In the re-wire I put two heavy duty spurs in, one for the cooker and one for the hob as looking around at double cookers they all had warnings for installation by electrician, but the single ovens boasted "easy plug-in".

Certainly, the sparkie that removed the old fuse box and replaced it with an RCD (there by having to check and certify everything I had done in the price)had no bones with it.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,