University graduation costs

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:
University graduation costs

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 21 Oct 2015, 17:38

I know some members on here must themselves have graduated from university or even have sons/daughters, brothers/sisters etc that have or are.

Now i've received my dates for my graduation ceremony and a link to hire the robes etc.

What a complete con it all is.

Robe, hat hire £42

Ticket for my sister if she wanted to come £50

Photo £80 for 1.

Then account for taking the day off work, price of a meal, drinks and then a taxi back home (because i'm grown up now and its not big or clever)..... What an expensive day.

They even have the cheek to say formal dress only, i have a good mind to turn up on my bike in my leathers and leave my lid on. That or jeans and a shirt- i never wear suits, never.

We don't even get given our degree certificates, its just a plastic scroll, already had my cert a few months back.

Is it just me being weird or does anyone else think its a waste of money? Or is the photo of you in a harry potter gown really worth all that expense??

Chickenstrips
Reactions:
Re: University graduation costs

Post by Chickenstrips » 21 Oct 2015, 18:56

It is now mate by the sound of it along with everything else. From memory it was about £20 for robe hire and £10 for a photo, no other costs apart from getting there. But then that was in 1992, in the days of Methuselah. I also finished with £1,900 debt instead of £40,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 21 Oct 2015, 20:42

sounds about the right price that rump, had to do my daughters couple of year ago. didn't have to pay for Guest tickets though ! thats ridiculous to charge £50 …if you took mum dad sis bruv etc thats £200 !!! id be having a moan over that FFS
:

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 21 Oct 2015, 21:11

Chickenstrips wrote:It is now mate by the sound of it along with everything else. From memory it was about £20 for robe hire and £10 for a photo, no other costs apart from getting there. But then that was in 1992, in the days of Methuselah. I also finished with £1,900 debt instead of £40,000.

when i applied in 2003 i would have left with £4,500 tuition debt- could have paid it then to be honest but i was far too immature to go, i'd have never turned up to lectures and just harassed women.
Now i'm in it to the tune of £64k!!! I'll never pay it back, most on my course never will, but the uni are still finding ways of trying to rob us blind.

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 21 Oct 2015, 21:13

Dave wrote:sounds about the right price that rump, had to do my daughters couple of year ago. didn't have to pay for Guest tickets though ! thats ridiculous to charge £50 …if you took mum dad sis bruv etc thats £200 !!! id be having a moan over that FFS
i get 2 tickets, so my mum & dad but my sister wants to come. I can't be arsed- i'd rather work.
My misses needs 6 tickets as her parents have separated and re-married and then her grandparents want to come :/ massive outlay for an hour spent looking like a harry potter extra minus the broom.

connorjardine
Reactions:

Post by connorjardine » 21 Oct 2015, 23:09

rumpoldstilskin wrote:
Dave wrote:sounds about the right price that rump, had to do my daughters couple of year ago. didn't have to pay for Guest tickets though ! thats ridiculous to charge £50 …if you took mum dad sis bruv etc thats £200 !!! id be having a moan over that FFS
i get 2 tickets, so my mum & dad but my sister wants to come. I can't be arsed- i'd rather work.
My misses needs 6 tickets as her parents have separated and re-married and then her grandparents want to come :/ massive outlay for an hour spent looking like a harry potter extra minus the broom.
You don't need a broom you have a motorbike :)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Barts dad
Reactions:

Post by Barts dad » 22 Oct 2015, 15:48

You've cheered me up no end with our daughter now in her first year at Uni and a son hell bent on going in 2018.

Chickenstrips
Reactions:

Post by Chickenstrips » 22 Oct 2015, 20:56

rumpoldstilskin wrote:
Chickenstrips wrote:It is now mate by the sound of it along with everything else. From memory it was about £20 for robe hire and £10 for a photo, no other costs apart from getting there. But then that was in 1992, in the days of Methuselah. I also finished with £1,900 debt instead of £40,000.

when i applied in 2003 i would have left with £4,500 tuition debt- could have paid it then to be honest but i was far too immature to go, i'd have never turned up to lectures and just harassed women.
Now i'm in it to the tune of £64k!!! I'll never pay it back, most on my course never will, but the uni are still finding ways of trying to rob us blind.
Jesus that's so so wrong...teaching isn't even that well paid all told. I went at 18 and did a fair bit of mucking around but I really buckled down for the last 6 months and got a 2.1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 22 Oct 2015, 21:23

Barts dad wrote:You've cheered me up no end with our daughter now in her first year at Uni and a son hell bent on going in 2018.
sorry :/

I can't even say it was that much fun, well not for me. I'm older, not much wiser. Tell your son to make sure he's single is all and erm lock your daughter up?
If their uni's allow, makesure they get part time jobs.
I've just finished working on a site in liverpool that is a high rise student let, £135+ per room per week!!! WTF

If they have any sense tell them to go uni away from home, list themselves for student finance as living with an elderly grandparent and to make friends for life fast, then use the £7k student loan each each to buy a property which in turn you live in till your degree is over, work part time the first year to pay your digs and save the loan.
Then when qualified in whatever rent the place out to some students. Completely legal, a great 10% plus per annum return and she'll have a free property in 20 years thats worth a hell of a lot more to wither pay off the student debt (don't do that) or re-mortgage/sell/keep etc.

My best advice.

Me amd my misses should have done that but we travelled the summer second year and rented a big house to ourselves cheaper than two rooms in halls. Now we're stuck here with newt to show for it bar some nice motorbikes and a few wool rugs haha.

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 22 Oct 2015, 21:24

Chickenstrips wrote:
rumpoldstilskin wrote:

Jesus that's so so wrong...teaching isn't even that well paid all told. I went at 18 and did a fair bit of mucking around but I really buckled down for the last 6 months and got a 2.1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
i got a 2:1 too, would have been a 1st but i kept getting migraine attacks close to the exams so i just didn't sit them and saved myself the embarrassment of a low mark with effort, much rather a fail with no effort :)