Motorway lane closures

WARNING - this area may contain items and language not suitable for younger or more sensitive viewers.
Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Motorway lane closures

Post by Cabernet » 27 Jun 2018, 15:59

As many of you will know, I can be a bit OCD on the highway code. Not necessarily on absolute adherence, but at least knowing and understanding what we are flaunting. Below is my experience and "Highway England's" view on it.

To: info@highwaysengland.co.uk

Hi,

I understand since March 2018 it is a specific endorseable offence to ignore Motorway lane closures.
Last night (Fri 22nd June) we were travelling home from Leeds to Manchester on the M62 late on. Around Halifax (ish) the gantry signs diverted us to lane three with a 50mph limit, to which we complied. Some time later we seemed to pass a spillage.
Having passed the (or a) hazard historically I would have reverted to normal lane discipline with heightened caution and forward vigilance until an NSL on all three lanes or an “End” gantry or a blank gantry.
With the new offence in play, we chose to remain in lane 3 at the 50mph. We passed an older style gantry that stated there was an obstruction. Then finally a second older style gantry said “End” gantry where we resumed normal motorway protocol. Throughout this time we were harassed by other motorists with light flashes, tail gating and undertaking in the closed lanes.

Have we missed something?
I cannot help but wonder if the law has advanced beyond the HWE’s capabilities, in as much that speed restrictions seemed to be extend miles more than necessary beyond the incident noted, causing frustration and almost placing ourselves by adherence in a situation of breaching the peace, by not moving to the left.

I thank you in advance for your clarification, which will be shared with motoring groups I affiliate to and with.

Regards

and in response . . .

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email of 25 June 2018 regarding speed limits and lane closures on the M62.

The signals you saw were set after we had received a report from the Police that a goods vehicle has spilled diesel onto the carriageway. The location was quite vague so we set signs to cover the full area of the potential spillage. Traffic officers attended the area to search but found nothing. Signals were then cleared. Many reports of obstructions, debris or spillages do end up being a ‘no trace’. We have to take all reports seriously and take all necessary action to ensure the carriageway is safe to drive over. From what you described, you drove responsibly and complied with all signals. Unfortunately others did not. The legislation now provides the Police with a specific offence with which to charge such drivers.

Thank you again for contacting us. If you have any further questions regarding this or any other Highways England issue please feel free to contact us via our 24 hour Customer Contact Centre on 0300 123 5000. Alternatively, please e-mail us at info@highwaysengland.co.uk or access our website http://www.highways.gov.uk where information on all Highways England policies and procedures can be found.

To help us identify and make improvements to our responses, I would be very grateful if you could please take our feedback survey by clicking here.

Kind regards

Regional Support Manager

So basically, we are required to retain the speed restriction even once we have passed "a" hazard. Makes sense as the percieved hazard may not be "the" hazard. I would still prefer the "common sense" approach, but the new laws now places us in a place of dogged adherence, causing frustration for the less discplined.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Motorway lane closures

Post by Stumoores » 27 Jun 2018, 16:32

Audi drivers eh ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Revving the bollox off it since 1982

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 27 Jun 2018, 16:44

Stumoores wrote:Audi drivers eh ?

Mercedes soft top & Volve were noted among the melilla.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Cabernet on 27 Jun 2018, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 27 Jun 2018, 20:08

I noticed the M6 had a stretch of average speed cameras which were looking at the back of vehicles.

Bastards have cottoned on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 27 Jun 2018, 20:11

I clocked them too. Not been out in ages though. 2 effing hot. Need a day off !

Revving the bollox off it since 1982