Legal

Talk about anything bike related.
MR SLIKE
Reactions:
Legal

Post by MR SLIKE » 08 Sep 2015, 18:34

Do you really need to pay the 20 to 30 quid legal costs on insurance, I've wondered for years, probably been asked before but is it worth it.

z750

Dave
Reactions:
Re: Legal

Post by Dave » 08 Sep 2015, 19:33

personally i dont ….we had a discussion on this on the "old" forum , most people thought it better to do so …its not compulsory on the policy ,its up to you to have it , like breakdown cover or clothing cover etc .
:

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 08 Sep 2015, 19:38

Agree above - you don't HAVE to but I'd say take it - although you have to be careful about - and perhaps challenge - who is selected should you need legal services.

My personal view is that there are a couple of issues with the alternative - No Win No Fee - firstly they might not take your case (admittedly still a risk with legal cover but the solicitor knows they will be paid whatever) . Secondly, NWNF arrangements are in the spotlight at the moment as solicitors throw on their often extensive fees and costs and try and claim them from the other side - in one recent example a £5k case was won, but the solicitors fees were nearly £100k - the judge refused to award costs.

Which leads to the final big disadvantage - No Win No Fee is just that - however if you lose and the court awards the other parties costs against you, then YOU have to pay these ! If it's a really big case this might not bear thinking about !

So for me...£20-30 - I pay it...

Dooffle
Reactions:

Post by Dooffle » 08 Sep 2015, 20:29

There are free ones online, if you have any other form of motor or house insurance with legal protection that will also cover you.

But just think for £20 odd quid how good is it really going to be?

MR SLIKE
Reactions:

Post by MR SLIKE » 08 Sep 2015, 20:53

Cheers chaps, I've always paid it but it bugs me especially when I never use it. But I suppose if I ever did it's there. Mmmmm decisions decisions lol

z750

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 08 Sep 2015, 21:26

I never do, it's like extended warranty, just a way to squeeze extra I recon

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 08 Sep 2015, 23:31

MR SLIKE wrote:Cheers chaps, I've always paid it but it bugs me especially when I never use it. But I suppose if I ever did it's there. Mmmmm decisions decisions lol

z750
its technically just 'legal cover' not specifically motor related, you can use it to get papers sent regarding house related stuff like boundaries or compulsory purchase agreements etc or in general anything you need it for. A refund from your bank (ppi) Look on that 'moneysavingexpert' page. Top bloke

Alb26
Reactions:

Post by Alb26 » 30 Sep 2015, 17:37

Well of course you do not have to pay it !.....its great to be able to sleep at night though knowing that
your legal costs through to the highest courts in this land are sorted... Top line Barristers these days
Relish the thought of clearing their throats of wind for at least £5K per day and uttering the Queens English at some unfortunate who could be you....with all the Pratt idiot cagers out there ready to mess your day ..... Hey mate
No worries ...pay that legal fee what is 20 or 30 quid these days ......

Jim27
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Jim27 » 01 Oct 2015, 00:43

As with all things when it comes to risk, ask yourself whether the consequences of the worst case scenario coming to pass are potentially catastrophic. If they are, then take the insurance. If they aren't then don't feel compelled to take it out unless it's something you definitely want the cover for.
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.