Insurance query

Talk about anything bike related.
Loose Sprockets
Reactions:
Insurance query

Post by Loose Sprockets » 27 Aug 2015, 15:23

My insurances covers me riding other bikes third party, so if I was to buy a bike tonight, could i legally rode it home? (after taxing it of course)

Baldrick
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Insurance query

Post by Baldrick » 27 Aug 2015, 15:38

No don't think so, I'm pretty sure you're only covered on another bike if it is already insured by the owner, ( so if the guy you buy the bike off still has it insured then you'd be ok) otherwise you'd need to Insure it yourself.

Loose Sprockets
Reactions:

Post by Loose Sprockets » 27 Aug 2015, 15:53

Yeah it's still insured by the other owner. This is where it confuses me, as if the bike is still in his name, its perfectly legal for me to do it. But if I've just bought the bike, despite it being taxed and insured, does it become a gray area, or even just outright illegal?

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 27 Aug 2015, 16:30

Loose Sprockets wrote:Yeah it's still insured by the other owner. This is where it confuses me, as if the bike is still in his name, its perfectly legal for me to do it. But if I've just bought the bike, despite it being taxed and insured, does it become a gray area, or even just outright illegal?
As soon as it's yours you'd not be insured, otherwise you could have one insurance policy and just keep buying bikes

If you call your insurance company and arrange it though, as soon as the sale is done you can call them and activate your insurance on the new bike from that point

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 27 Aug 2015, 16:43

if the seller has the bike insured ,this lets you ride it with your third party . However you can't insure it in your name till he cancels the policy of his!

So…….if you buy it tonight .tell him to hold his insurance till ,say midnight, then you start a new policy after midnight.

You are not doing anything illegal.
:

Loose Sprockets
Reactions:

Post by Loose Sprockets » 27 Aug 2015, 16:52

Dave wrote:if the seller has the bike insured ,this lets you ride it with your third party . However you can't insure it in your name till he cancels the policy of his!

So…….if you buy it tonight .tell him to hold his insurance till ,say midnight, then you start a new policy after midnight.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if it became a legal grey area haha, Thanks.

gingerb
Reactions:

Post by gingerb » 27 Aug 2015, 16:56

what's the bike????? Not that it affects the insurance I'm just being nosey :D

Loose Sprockets
Reactions:

Post by Loose Sprockets » 27 Aug 2015, 16:59

gingerb wrote:what's the bike????? Not that it affects the insurance I'm just being nosey :D
Another Sv 650, just a lot more modern than the old one I had before haha!

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 27 Aug 2015, 17:45

Dave wrote:if the seller has the bike insured ,this lets you ride it with your third party . However you can't insure it in your name till he cancels the policy of his!

Technically that's illegal though I think, as at that point you are the owner (I.e. Sale agreed) the seller would need to tell his insurance he was no longer the owner, and you wouldn't be insured as it's no longer someone else's bike... I think

Occams Razor
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Occams Razor » 27 Aug 2015, 17:52

Clarkey wrote:

Technically that's illegal though I think, as at that point you are the owner (I.e. Sale agreed) the seller would need to tell his insurance he was no longer the owner, and you wouldn't be insured as it's no longer someone else's bike... I think
Spot on by taxing it in your name you're confirming that you're the owner so you wouldn't be insured.