Insurance query

Talk about anything bike related.
Adam
Reactions:
Re: Insurance query

Post by Adam » 28 Aug 2015, 01:59

Quick answer: it's dodgy but you could get away with it....

Long answer: as you have bought the bike and I imagine filled in the small piece of V5C, you become the owner&registered keeper so you're own bike insurance for third party riding no longer covers. If Mr policeman stops you and say is this your bike and you say no its a friends, I'm riding it on my policy then you'll be reet.

Dodgy as hell, will get even worse if you get in an accident but that's unlikely. If Mr policeman is very smart or you're not too good with your answers then you'll get done for no insurance.

Would I do it? Probably if I was for example waiting my own policy to expire say in 2 weeks time at end of policy year to earn another ncb year. From the guy who used to work in insurance. PS I haven't read all other replies so you may of already figured it out.

Occams Razor
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Occams Razor » 28 Aug 2015, 08:42

Adam wrote:Quick answer: it's dodgy but you could get away with it....

Long answer: as you have bought the bike and I imagine filled in the small piece of V5C, you become the owner&registered keeper so you're own bike insurance for third party riding no longer covers. If Mr policeman stops you and say is this your bike and you say no its a friends, I'm riding it on my policy then you'll be reet.

Dodgy as hell, will get even worse if you get in an accident but that's unlikely. If Mr policeman is very smart or you're not too good with your answers then you'll get done for no insurance.

Would I do it? Probably if I was for example waiting my own policy to expire say in 2 weeks time at end of policy year to earn another ncb year. From the guy who used to work in insurance. PS I haven't read all other replies so you may of already figured it out.
But what happens when the plod does his checks and road tax is in the riders name?

Dooffle
Reactions:

Post by Dooffle » 28 Aug 2015, 16:35

Taxing the bike does not prove ownership, only that you are the new KEEPER and that's the word keeper not owner.
The V5 is a register of the keeper not owner, think lease vehicles. So you can tax and as long as you have proof you don't OWN the bike then you should be OK.

If you had to make a claim the claim will go through the other guys insurance, who will then claim back off your insurance. So the current owner will have a claim on his record whether his fault or not. This is what isn't explained. And you will only be covered 3rd party.

Is it worth taking the risk for a few quid to get some short term cover?