Used bike dealerships

Talk about anything bike related.
Big Hairy Ape
Reactions:
Used bike dealerships

Post by Big Hairy Ape » 28 Jul 2015, 08:05

Hi everybody

I've recently passed me mod 2 and I'm looking to go and buy my first bike.

I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a decent used-bike dealership, preferably in the Merseyside area. I've had some people telling me where to avoid but not where to go!

Any help would be appreciated!

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Used bike dealerships

Post by Clarkey » 28 Jul 2015, 08:54

I'm afraid I don't know merseyside too well, but I'll tell you what I know...

I've always rated shorrocks in preston for parts and gear, but never bought a bike off them.

Dealt with Raceways in Fleetwood a few times, and they seem genuinely sound. My dad recently bought a bike from them - they gave him a reasonable trade in price on his old bike and a decent deal overall. Very friendly helpful guys in there

Sometimes, especially when it comes towards the end of summer, it's worth just keeping your eye out on ebay. yeah, you don't get the guarantee etc, but if you find a bargain it can sometimes be better to just put the difference aside for 'what if'... i've bought most of my bikes privately and not had a problem, just know what to look out for on the specific model and go prepared

What bike are you after?

Good luck :)

norifan
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by norifan » 28 Jul 2015, 09:22

Bought a couple of bikes from Marriotts in Birkenhead 10 or 12 years back, seemed ok as far as i I recall, assuming they are still going. Cant comment about servicing etc tho.

Big Hairy Ape
Reactions:

Post by Big Hairy Ape » 28 Jul 2015, 10:07

Not 100% sure what I'm going for. Initially was thinking some kind of sports tourer. But a few have looked at me and said I might be better suited to an advanced like the V-strom or versys cos of my size.

So I'd like to go somewhere where I can try a few and get good advice.

rjvader
Reactions:

Post by rjvader » 28 Jul 2015, 14:05

might be worth having a look in millenium motorcycles and bill smiths in chester to get a feel of what fits you. between them, most models are covered for you to have a sit on each, however ive no experience of buying from either apart from a brand new 125 from smith's honda a few years back which is technically seperate. i know millenium doesnt have a very high rep for anything other than breakfasts though so i wouldnt recommend buying anything from there.

i bought my bike used from manchester motorcycle centre in walkden. very friendly bunch and good customer service from them. always offer me a brew when i just went for a look around and did a bit of work on the bike for free even though i was out of my warranty period.

Jazzi
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Jazzi » 28 Jul 2015, 15:21

Motorcycle Centre Orrell is a good one. Same group as Millennium but the staff in MCO are much better. Ask for Chas and say Rob & Jazz sent you [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my HTC Desire EYE using Tapatalk

ListerTheStupid
Reactions:

Post by ListerTheStupid » 28 Jul 2015, 17:44

Big Hairy Ape wrote:Hi everybody

I've recently passed me mod 2 and I'm looking to go and buy my first bike.

I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a decent used-bike dealership, preferably in the Merseyside area. I've had some people telling me where to avoid but not where to go!

Any help would be appreciated!
I have a z1000 you can have for £6500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Hairy Ape
Reactions:

Post by Big Hairy Ape » 28 Jul 2015, 18:22

Jazzi wrote:Motorcycle Centre Orrell is a good one. Same group as Millennium but the staff in MCO are much better. Ask for Chas and say Rob & Jazz sent you [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Aye I've been told to give MM in St Helens a miss and head to the sister store in Orrell. I'll have to head up there.
ListerTheStupid wrote:
Would love to but not sure that's wise as a first bike! :shock:

ListerTheStupid
Reactions:

Post by ListerTheStupid » 28 Jul 2015, 19:05

ListerTheStupid wrote:
Would love to but not sure that's wise as a first bike! :shock:[/quote]

It will only go as fast as you let it. The offer is there pal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 28 Jul 2015, 20:09

Bennetts in barnsley, Bill smiths Chester, The Rocket Centre Burnley. J&S in Whitchurch aren't bad either