Speeding threshold

Talk about anything bike related.
Dave
Reactions:
Speeding threshold

Post by Dave » 18 Jul 2015, 21:33

Its been widely known that the threshold of 10% +2mph above the limit might see you get a stern telling off ……going to Scotland this summer ??? they are abolishing this and just 1mph over will see you in trouble

read on ..(fuckingmoneygrabbingtwats)

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/just-1mph ... d=15515387
:

jimmytanko
Reactions:
Re: Speeding threshold

Post by jimmytanko » 18 Jul 2015, 21:51

Not sure what the threshold used to be in.Scotland but last year I went past a couple of coppers near fort Augustus doing 12.7 mph (remove the . Lol) and they didn't bat an eyelid

Sent from my SO-01G using Tapatalk

Pacuk
VIP
Reactions:
Speeding threshold

Post by Pacuk » 18 Jul 2015, 22:29

Gonna be some pissed off drivers behind me then, HGV's are still restricted to 40 up that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lilday
Reactions:

Post by Lilday » 19 Jul 2015, 00:16

Curious as to how they're enforcing this then.

I was always under the impression that the 10%+2 rule was due to the discrepancies in the measuring equipment.

For example a speed camera can catch you going between 33mph and 36mph but can't say exactly if you were doing 34 or 35. (The numbers here are not real, just an example).

I'm sure the ACPO publication is out there somewhere detailing the angle/perspective of cameras and their accuracy.

Then there is also the case of the speedometer in your car may be 10% out +/-

Interesting one. Good job Scotland is cold and miserable and if I wanted to do that many miles I'd head to France! haha

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 19 Jul 2015, 07:38

Lilday wrote: Then there is also the case of the speedometer in your car may be 10% out +/-

Interesting one. Good job Scotland is cold and miserable and if I wanted to do that many miles I'd head to France! haha
Im with you on this , theres always going to be a speedometer difference between manufacturers , I can see some magistrate courts getting busy
:

Stebinners
Reactions:

Post by Stebinners » 19 Jul 2015, 20:53

dont forget the law doesn't technically allow for discrepancies in speedos, that is a matter for a person to adhere to an comply regardless even if you claim you speedo is not calibrated. I assume that where in the polices application of the law allows sometimes 10%, but as speeding is a strict liability offence they don't have to allow anything.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jimmytanko
Reactions:

Post by jimmytanko » 19 Jul 2015, 21:09

My take on it is this..... If you speed and get caught then it's your own fault for speeding. Same as if you steal and get caught, it's your own fault for stealing.
The law is the law whether we like it or not and as we are all just a bunch of plebs who can do very little to change any of it, then just get on with it.
Do I agree with it all? No.
Do I like It? No.
Can I do anything about it? No.
If you want to do above legal speeds on a bike take the £100 odd you will have to pay for a fine and book a trackday where you can go as fast as your balls will.take you

Sent from my SO-01G using Tapatalk

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:

Post by cupidstunt » 19 Jul 2015, 21:26

In other words remove your trousers and assume the position as you enter haggis land
:geek: HEAD PERVERT :geek:

BO60BYS
Reactions:

Post by BO60BYS » 21 Jul 2015, 18:51

Dont know if you have been up to Scotland much but when ever i have been up that way north of Fort William the police are very very very vast.

So all this is on the assumption you get caught ? i think we seen about 3 police cars up there over a 5 day period.

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 21 Jul 2015, 19:46

I agree with jimmytanko - but what I note is that I do try and stick to the correct limits in urban areas - I have a thing about this - more people, more idiots, more traffic and more chance of something going wrong.

When I see people speeding in built up areas it makes me shudder particularly as there are more children and elderly pedestrians likely to be about.

But have you tried riding to an urban speed limit on your bike ? it's almost suicide - the number of car drivers tailgating is incredible - it's bad enough when I keep it calm in a car, but on a bike you are pretty much guaranteed to find an ape shoving a ton of steel inches from your backside ....