Warm Weather riding

Talk about anything bike related.
Dave
Reactions:
Re: Warm Weather riding

Post by Dave » 04 Jul 2015, 19:21

i too can't be doing with leathers in this weather .normally drag gin style jeans and a vented dianese jacket. weds it was too warm so i left my vented jacket half open to allow more air in …this took me back to the day i was out with an instructor a few years back ,and he commented on the open jacket saying if you slide down the road with that open it will rip off and wouldn't be worth wearing in the first place ,,,,,fuk me i thought can't do right for wrong here, might has well have not ridden at all then

its a common sense each to their own thing , those that do ride around in t shirts etc ,I'm sure they are alert as can be , its the ones on the supersport / superbikes doing heavy speeds that the message needs to be given too.
:

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 05 Jul 2015, 07:45

I think there's a real reason behind why people are loaded with protective gear even during the most oppressive heat - it's not an issue of questioning freedom of choice or staying 'less alert' - it's survival of the sensible and the experienced - ride as 'carefully' as you want stats show in many cases it's someone else who will bring you off - even the best riders. Seeing people riding in underwear makes me cringe...Whilst riding gear keeps you warm at other times, that is not its primary purpose - it's there to try and help save your life and that is A 24/7/365 risk....

mikey1
Reactions:

Post by mikey1 » 05 Jul 2015, 08:49

I will confess to having ridden without leathers when I was a teenager and nipping round to my mates house, there was good reason, he only lived down the road from me and his sister was achingly beautiful, so in my head the thought of me rocking up in jeans and t shirt on the bike wouldve been cool enough so that she fell madly in love with me.....alas the reality of a skinny teenager turning up on a cb125 superdeam was a somewhat different image to her :)

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 05 Jul 2015, 10:21

I think our view is skewed by our climate.
We see cycling "mamil" and helmet doing 30 and 40 down hill sides.
Montain bikers don't exactly amour up either.

As Lee says, each to their own and you'll suffer accordingly.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 05 Jul 2015, 10:23

Soviet wrote:it's not an issue of questioning freedom of choice or staying 'less alert' - it's survival of the sensible and the experienced
That's a tad arrogant and judgemental isn't it? I choose to ride without full protective gear on rare occasions, so does that imply my 12 years / approx 14 bikes doesn't make me 'experienced'?

Like I said, being on a bike in the first place is a big part of the risk in itself, I understand it as most do, and have met the tarmac wearing leathers on a track day and jogging pants when I was much younger... I know the difference, but freedom of choice :)

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 05 Jul 2015, 11:46

Im the same.
21 years riding.
If it wasnt for the mrs giving me a hard time id be in jeans etc more often.

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 05 Jul 2015, 12:09

I'm all for jeans, boots and an armoured jacket. If i come off it'll hurt regardless but i've come off in jeans before @70mph and had only a bruised thigh and my laces bust on my boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDan1190
VIP
Reactions:

Post by BigDan1190 » 05 Jul 2015, 18:23

I agree with both sides of the debate, I don't want my skin to be ripped from me, but similarly if I choose to nip out in just a hoody and jeans I don't expect to be berated by cunts who think they're better or smarter than me.

As with a lot of things in life, we all have beliefs about how things should be done but we shouldn't try to shame people for doing things their own way.

Barts dad
Reactions:

Post by Barts dad » 05 Jul 2015, 19:09

BigDan1190 wrote:I agree with both sides of the debate, I don't want my skin to be ripped from me, but similarly if I choose to nip out in just a hoody and jeans I don't expect to be berated by cunts who think they're better or smarter than me.

As with a lot of things in life, we all have beliefs about how things should be done but we shouldn't try to shame people for doing things their own way.
Well put.

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 05 Jul 2015, 20:07

BigDan1190 wrote:I agree with both sides of the debate, I don't want my skin to be ripped from me, but similarly if I choose to nip out in just a hoody and jeans I don't expect to be berated by cunts who think they're better or smarter than me.

Well said