Red light camera

Talk about anything bike related.
Loose Sprockets
Reactions:
Red light camera

Post by Loose Sprockets » 23 Jun 2015, 09:30

Got flashed for the first time in 6 years last night. Lights turned to yellow when I was 15 or so metres from them, 40 limit, in my opinion I couldn't stop safely without slamming on and risking a lock up, the lights were still yellow when I (and miss fix it) went through, yet we were flashed. Is it worth appealing when the Nip comes? As both myself and Georgia both believe that there was NOT enough time to stop safely.

Jazzi
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Red light camera

Post by Jazzi » 23 Jun 2015, 09:46

When the image comes through, make sure its still on yellow. Then appeal it...

AlexGSi2000
Reactions:

Post by AlexGSi2000 » 23 Jun 2015, 09:47

Were you 2-up? Anything following behind you? What were the road/weather conditions like?

Im sure when they plan and install the red light cameras they need to take the worst into account .eg- bad weather, speed limits.etc

They will probably state that you were either riding too quickly for the conditions, or question the bikes condition and stopping capability.

I would say you have a bit more ammo against them by being on a bike, you could possibly state that there was a car quickly approaching from behind and you were concerned that it wouldnt be capable of stopping as quickly as you could.etc

Loose Sprockets
Reactions:

Post by Loose Sprockets » 23 Jun 2015, 10:18

That's a decent point jazzi. No myself and Georgia were both on our own bikes, but riding closely, we were doing the limit but both made exactly the same decision that there's no way near enough time to stop safely. My Ducati has a lot less stopping power than the sv did, or the cbf, its a single disc front yet weighs the same as the others.

Jazzi
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Jazzi » 23 Jun 2015, 12:21

Was it the one down Balliol Road? Always catches people out that one.. But yeah, if you get it through and its still on amber they'll more than likely drop it as theres more chance of causing an accident stopping in that amount of time. Someone I know got one last year and it said the amount of time the light had been on red for when they went through. Three seconds is taking the piss a bit... Haha

Chops Mcgoo
Reactions:

Post by Chops Mcgoo » 23 Jun 2015, 13:50

I remember this coming up on my speed awareness course and the official answer is;

"If you are following the speed limit and driving to conditions then there is time to stop. If you dont have time to stop then you are / were speeding" - or someting like that.

I would still appeal though, normally there is a slight delay after the light changes, at least there is on the east lancs! :-)

Jazzi
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Jazzi » 23 Jun 2015, 14:10

When I was doing my driving lessons, my instructor said that if you were past the start of the zig zag marking (pedestrian lights) when the signal goes yellow then you were OK to go through

Goody
Reactions:

Post by Goody » 23 Jun 2015, 14:55

Speaking from experience no point in appealing ,take the points pay the fine and join the club

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 23 Jun 2015, 15:07

Dont worry about it until you get the nip.
I got flashed going through a green light near Astley on the lancs!
Never heard anything though.

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 23 Jun 2015, 21:03

Chops Mcgoo wrote:I remember this coming up on my speed awareness course and the official answer is;

"If you are following the speed limit and driving to conditions then there is time to stop. If you dont have time to stop then you are / were speeding" - or someting like that.

I would still appeal though, normally there is a slight delay after the light changes, at least there is on the east lancs! :-)
the golden rule of bikes is …..you should ALWAYS be able to stop in the distance you see to be clear , on your side of the road .

I doubt you will hear anything Pete , sleep well dont have nightmares
: