chain lube.

Talk about anything bike related.
lee
Reactions:
Re: chain lube.

Post by lee » 19 Jun 2015, 16:02

jimmytanko wrote:
SKilshaw wrote:Nobody using a scottoiler? Fitted one to my bike a few thousand miles ago.
Was beginning to rust as I do neglect to lube it, now isn't looking too bad.
I have 2 that I have taken off bikes that I sold, always planned on fitting them to.new bikes but not got round to it yet.
I do prefer them though.

Sent from my SO-01G using Tapatalk
First dibs if you sell one.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 19 Jun 2015, 18:45

SKilshaw wrote:Nobody using a scottoiler? Fitted one to my bike a few thousand miles ago.
But one must consider and cover the down side.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

jimmytanko
Reactions:

Post by jimmytanko » 19 Jun 2015, 19:10

lee wrote:
jimmytanko wrote:
I have 2 that I have taken off bikes that I sold, always planned on fitting them to.new bikes but not got round to it yet.
I do prefer them though.

First dibs if you sell one.
Would have to find them 1st probably in a box in the depths of my lock up!

finchey63
Reactions:

Post by finchey63 » 19 Jun 2015, 23:02

Jim27 wrote:I've used all sorts - oil, lube, wax etc. but have recently started using the new WD40 chain lube and recommend it very strongly.

The problem with all lubricants (other than they attract crap) is that they need to get into the tiniest nooks and crannies to lubricate the rollers where the actual wear occurs. The problem here though is that there's almost no gap whatsoever - this is why you should always lube the chain when it's warm/hot after a ride (thins the lubricant and fractionally opens any gaps so it can get it). The downside is that a thin lubricant (like oil) will penetrate ok but by it's nature doesn't cling very well, so can get flung off onto your wheel, tyre, etc. meaning you need constant reapplication as well as the mess factor.

The WD40 lube comes out as thin as penetrating oil but after a few minutes contact with air it begins to become tacky. It's thin enough to get into the tiniest gaps like penetrating fluid but then changes consistency so that it clings to wherever it's been applied, making it probably the best solution.

A cheaper version would be to use chainsaw oil - it does exactly the same thing.
I've been using the wd40 chain wax for the last two years since i got back into bikes.
It seems to be working ok for me, with regular cleaning and lubing no complaints form me.
But i think i might try the wd40 lube on my new chain and see what the differance is between them.

AlexGSi2000
Reactions:

Post by AlexGSi2000 » 20 Jun 2015, 10:39

I'm using Motorex.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk