suspension setup.

Talk about anything bike related.
lee
Reactions:
suspension setup.

Post by lee » 13 Jun 2015, 18:38

After a bit of a battle getting the sd where I want it, im wondering how many people set up their suspension?
Do you twiddle blindly?
Do you apply a methodical approach as you understand the adjustments?
Do you take it to an expert to get it done?

My sd was a challenge as setting it up as I have always done just wasnt cutting it.
I got the damping sorted fairly quickly, but I ended up with less sag than I would normally use which made a huge difference.

I quite like getting a feel for how the bike behaves and seeing if it can be improved.

Im curious as to how others go about the black art of setting theirs up.

lee
Reactions:
Re: suspension setup.

Post by lee » 13 Jun 2015, 18:44

Oh and a big thanks to doofle.
My first point of contact when im after sd info.

Although I didnt end up with your suggestion, it did get me thinking and that in turn led to a bit of a eureka moment!

Ta mate.

a_monkey_hint
Reactions:

Post by a_monkey_hint » 13 Jun 2015, 21:04

Took mine to Kais to get sorted. Personally for suspension, best giving it the experts to setup.

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 13 Jun 2015, 21:08

yeah suspension is a highly sophisticated subject if you have no idea at all …Its quite a basic routine to set the sag though , and once that is set for your weight the bike should feel better . to really fine tune it with a quarter of a turn here and another quarter turn here etc Kais are the best in my opinion .Never used Maxton but heard great things about them
:

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 13 Jun 2015, 23:56

a_monkey_hint wrote:Took mine to Kais to get sorted. Personally for suspension, best giving it the experts to setup.
Im interested to see how they did it?
Do they test ride the bike?

paulb
VIP
Reactions:

Post by paulb » 14 Jun 2015, 03:17

Will be trying this place for the gixxer...
http://www.twsuspensiontech.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 14 Jun 2015, 08:30

lee wrote:
a_monkey_hint wrote:Took mine to Kais to get sorted. Personally for suspension, best giving it the experts to setup.
Nah, they ask about your riding and take it into the workshop , the bike is there for a good hour with them while they fettle with sag and settings . They give you a sheet with the new settings on , so if you adjust it again to try to better it, you can refer back to the sheet to reset.
They do a lot of BSB work at BSB rounds , Nick white is a very clever technician . If you go in ask to have alook round the workshop where they do the suspension ( not the normal bike service area) , The OHlins gear must have been worth thousands £££.

They are not far from you Lee. pop in for a nosey.

i had it done on an 08 blade . , was very surprised how different the bike felt
:

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 14 Jun 2015, 08:50

Dave wrote:
lee wrote:
Nah, they ask about your riding and take it into the workshop , the bike is there for a good hour with them while they fettle with sag and settings . They give you a sheet with the new settings on , so if you adjust it again to try to better it, you can refer back to the sheet to reset.
They do a lot of BSB work at BSB rounds , Nick white is a very clever technician . If you go in ask to have alook round the workshop where they do the suspension ( not the normal bike service area) , The OHlins gear must have been worth thousands £££.

They are not far from you Lee. pop in for a nosey.

i had it done on an 08 blade . , was very surprised how different the bike felt
What seems strange is they set the bike up and send you on your way.
A race bike would be back in to see how it feels, adjust, send out again etc.
From what im told a lot of it is in the sag setup then simply bouncing the bike and seeing how it reacts, settles etc.

I like to understand whats happening and set my own up to be honest.
Although I did nearly admit defeat this time.

Baldrick
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Baldrick » 14 Jun 2015, 09:53

paulb wrote:Will be trying this place for the gixxer...
http://www.twsuspensiontech.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had mine done by this guy last week, I'm well impressed with the difference, I didn't think my bike was that bad to be honest but after he did it it felt much better.
He does the initial set up based on your weight, feedback and riding style, you then take the bike out for a blast around the country lanes to see how it is and then if you think it needs tweeking in any particular area he does the adjustments based on your requirements and off you go again, He will tweek it until you're 100% happy with the results.
I can recommend him very highly.

paulb
VIP
Reactions:

Post by paulb » 14 Jun 2015, 10:33

That's where i got idea from.....