Can anyone shed some light on this?

Talk about anything bike related.
rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 07 May 2015, 21:53

Got my bike running, running quite well actually but I'm tuning the A/F ratios by way of sniffing (good elf nose ey)

Any who, I'm taking an educated guess that she's still too Lean as every now and then she's flaming/spitting back through the throttle bodies. And as I open her up from idle, with great throttle response she's flaming from the exhaust (afterfire).

Q: Does she need the idle ratio richening up to reduce/stop the spitting back? Or if anyone has knowledge of IACV's could I just reduce the number of steps she's open at idle instead of reducing the AFR?

lee
Reactions:
Re: Can anyone shed some light on this?

Post by lee » 07 May 2015, 22:34

No joy with otc?

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 08 May 2015, 00:27

lee wrote:No joy with otc?
unfortunately not, Pete is already away and the other two guys are snowed under with TT prep :,(

Looking at doing a leak down test now as a guy in Oz said I should do that too, FFS

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 08 May 2015, 06:35

I tried shining my torch on the screen as I read. Did it help?
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Dooffle
Reactions:

Post by Dooffle » 08 May 2015, 08:30

Sounds like there is unburnt fuel if you are getting blow back.

Popping back through the throttle bodies means that fuel is still present on the exhaust stroke so the flame back is happening as the inlets open (valve overlap).

Have you balanced the throttle bodies?
Are you setting the A/F with the butterflies full closed and air filter on?

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 08 May 2015, 08:35

What are your plugs like ?
Revving the bollox off it since 1982

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 09 May 2015, 22:56

Stumoores wrote:What are your plugs like ?
plugs are a little covered in carbon, not much, like the mildest of misting, but they have only been in for 3 turn overs.

I wanted to start again today but I had some fat angry neighbour come at me on Wednesday saying 'you noisy F******g C**t, my 10year old kid is in bed and can't sleep' it was 7pm, what the actual F***????!

I thought it might have been really lean but if it's right what's been suggested then that could explain the difficulty starting but equally if I cover the IACV she starts, effectively Choking the engine which would point to it being Lean. I need a helping hand on this one Please :) biscuits and tea provided

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 09 May 2015, 23:11

Dooffle wrote:Sounds like there is unburnt fuel if you are getting blow back.

Popping back through the throttle bodies means that fuel is still present on the exhaust stroke so the flame back is happening as the inlets open (valve overlap).

Have you balanced the throttle bodies?
Are you setting the A/F with the butterflies full closed and air filter on?
My bike doesn't actually run a filter as such, just a 10mm piece of foam which doesn't effect air flow.

The A/F is set on a map on a thing but idle.

The A/F for idle on this system is kinda complicated and it doesn't really make any sense to anyone but Benelli but using Tine ECU it can be changed with a slight effect.

The idle is set with the TPS reset to 0, the butterflies fully closed, and the idle air bypass screws set at 1 1/4 turns out.

I'll have another go tomorrow and what's been said does mean I can reduce the fuelling down from 58.4 to around 20/30 where it should be. Though those numbers don't actually represent a flow on this system :/

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 09 May 2015, 23:14

IACV should be at 0 on the RS and idle fuel trim at 20/30. The problem being my bike has never run on those settings. Now this may have been due to a low pressure in the old fuel system, pump failed, or because my throttle bodies were worn or because that's just how she liked it like most Italians do.

I have a friend who's RS runs practically the same settings as mine but lower injector pulse rates. It's all so confusing. Back to carbs soon I reckon

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 09 May 2015, 23:26

Brown overcoat it.
Sorted.