Fatal Incident at Oulton Park 5 October 2013

Talk about anything bike related.
C-J
Reactions:
Fatal Incident at Oulton Park 5 October 2013

Post by C-J » 20 Apr 2015, 21:43

Received a letter today from Health and Safety at Cheshire Council.

They are appealing for any witnesses to the incident at Oulton Park on the No Limits track day.

They are looking for anyone, including spectators who may have photos or video or seen the crash happening.

If you know, or know anyone who may have anything useful then please contact

Kathryn.hawkes@cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk

I didn't see what happened as I'd just come in from my session. It definitely made me wary of track days after that. From what I've heard, the fatality was due to another rider striking the person after they had come off a few seconds earlier over hilltop.

Cheers

ListerTheStupid
Reactions:
Re: Fatal Incident at Oulton Park 5 October 2013

Post by ListerTheStupid » 20 Apr 2015, 22:26

Sounds like legal action to me...

Could the death been avoided if there was a flag marshal at Hill Top? There would have been a flag marshal at Britten's and one at Hislops... I

If the rider fell after Hill Top, the following riders wouldn't have know until they past the crest of the hill... then it was to late... A flag marshal on the crest would have been able to wave yellow to warn the following riders of the incident.

This is my just my thoughts on the situation...

C-J
Reactions:

Post by C-J » 20 Apr 2015, 22:49

Yes it will be for legal action. Whether that's MSV as track owners, no limits running the day, the riders involved, maybe even the bike manufacturers.. Who knows.. They're just trying to get evidence. It's the only ever briefing I've been to though, where we were told to look for the lit boards for flag warnings as there weren't many marshals.

pch1
VIP
Reactions:

Post by pch1 » 20 Apr 2015, 22:57

I arrived shortly after the incident and can't comment on what happened.

I remember seeing something similar in Superbikes years ago where the following rider struck a fallen riders neck.
It's unfortunate, but we all know the associated risks with riding bikes.

MassDestruction
VIP
Reactions:

Post by MassDestruction » 20 Apr 2015, 23:47

From what I can gather a big contributory factor was the use of lights rather than marshals along with the use of cctv. I've heard the incident first hand and it was a tragic loss. Anyway now there are Marshalls at every track and no more lighting and cctv and that's safer in my eyes.

MassDestruction
VIP
Reactions:

Post by MassDestruction » 20 Apr 2015, 23:48

From what I can gather a big contributory factor was the use of lights rather than marshals along with the use of cctv. I've heard the incident first hand and it was a tragic loss. Anyway now there are Marshalls at every track and no more lighting and cctv and that's safer in my eyes.