Project Blue Smoke

Talk about anything bike related.
Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:
Project Blue Smoke

Post by Clarkey » 08 Nov 2018, 22:47

It's an old video, but I'd not seen it before... would very much like to own it, but don't know about range and cost etc

https://youtu.be/e3hDzgmxxD8

Here is the background (which I only found when googling it again for this post)

https://drivetribe.com/p/what-is-the-pr ... zNWcVoB6kg

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Project Blue Smoke

Post by Stumoores » 08 Nov 2018, 23:03

Price up the Kelly , revolt and battery. The range will be down to battery technology, gearing and right hand, at a guess I would say it’s good for 50 miles of average A road and would stand you at 2-3 grand. What VOSA would make of it tho I have no clue ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Revving the bollox off it since 1982

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 09 Nov 2018, 00:04

Pretty cool.
The VOSA thing is an issue for self builds.
Would have to be SVA’d i’d think due to drive train being completely changed. But then tax issue? It should be free right?

Top effort though. I still fancy a 2WD set up using this kit....Image
In a lightweight frame. Either my Husaberg chopped up somewhat or an alu motor-cross/trials frame as they are always lightweight but would be capable of carrying the battery.
The rest is plug and play plus no chain to worry about meaning no moving parts at all +1 for my effort.

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 09 Nov 2018, 00:20

I’ve seen loads of electric bicycles lately, is there a point at which they are considered to be too powerful and you need a license?

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 09 Nov 2018, 08:49

Clarkey wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 22:47
It's an old video, but I'd not seen it before... would very much like to own it, but don't know about range and cost etc

https://youtu.be/e3hDzgmxxD8

Here is the background (which I only found when googling it again for this post)

https://drivetribe.com/p/what-is-the-pr ... zNWcVoB6kg
That front sprocket is way too far from the swing arm pivot. It will create excessive free play on extremes of suspension movement, resulting in dangerous chain slap..
The front sprocket is too small for a 5 series chain. If that ratio is necessary then a 4 series chain should be deployed.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 09 Nov 2018, 08:53

rumpoldstilskin wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 00:04
Pretty cool.
The VOSA thing is an issue for self builds.
Would have to be SVA’d i’d think due to drive train being completely changed. But then tax issue? It should be free right?

Top effort though. I still fancy a 2WD set up using this kit....Image
In a lightweight frame. Either my Husaberg chopped up somewhat or an alu motor-cross/trials frame as they are always lightweight but would be capable of carrying the battery.
The rest is plug and play plus no chain to worry about meaning no moving parts at all +1 for my effort.
The issue with an electric hub is the amount of unsprung mass compromising handling and varying traction levels.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 09 Nov 2018, 09:03

Stumoores wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 00:20
I’ve seen loads of electric bicycles lately, is there a point at which they are considered to be too powerful and you need a license?

The pedal assist has to cut out at 12mph, or they have to be registered and insured like a car or motorcycle.

Non pedal assist like a mobility buggies used by disable, 4mph.

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:

Post by cupidstunt » 09 Nov 2018, 14:47

How fast does your buggie go ?
:geek: HEAD PERVERT :geek:

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:
Project Blue Smoke

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 17 Nov 2018, 01:24

Stumoores wrote:I’ve seen loads of electric bicycles lately, is there a point at which they are considered to be too powerful and you need a license?

Got told in Bennetts anything over 1000w needs a moped license or is illegal on Uk roads....... yet the Benelli road bicycle can do 50mph+ with a simple resistor delete.

There is an older chap on youtube who built a RWD electric bicycle that doesn’t half shift, i’ll try and find the link.

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 17 Nov 2018, 12:48

Viva la resistor

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk