Brand affiliation

Talk about anything bike related.
Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Brand affiliation

Post by Clarkey » 04 Feb 2018, 08:36

jimmytanko wrote:I've had plenty of bikes in the last 4 or so years I've been riding, 4 Hondas, 2 aprilias, one triumph, one yamaha, one suzuki, one vespa, a ducati and a cagiva. Wish I'd kept the Honda NC30 and the Aprilia Tuono.
Really like older Hondas, and like the newer xsr yamahas.
Also have a soft spot for Guzzi's because they are different from the rest.
Also want a bmw R1100S boxer cup replica (don't know why but I really like em)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Wow that's a lot of bikes over 4 years, lucky you! Quite the variety too. Did you quickly dislike any particular one?

Live Forever or Die Trying

jimmytanko
Reactions:

Post by jimmytanko » 04 Feb 2018, 09:04

Clarkey wrote:
jimmytanko wrote:I've had plenty of bikes in the last 4 or so years I've been riding, 4 Hondas, 2 aprilias, one triumph, one yamaha, one suzuki, one vespa, a ducati and a cagiva. Wish I'd kept the Honda NC30 and the Aprilia Tuono.

Wow that's a lot of bikes over 4 years, lucky you! Quite the variety too. Did you quickly dislike any particular one?

The ducati monster (1997 750) was the most uncomfortable one, it was just too small for me physically, and the riding position basically made me squash my nuts every time I hit the brakes!
The Vrf800 vtec I loved the engine and practicality, but the riding position was too far forwards for a bike like that, so long trips hurt my wrists.
Best bike was the tuono. 2003 rsv tuono. Had upgraded ohlins rear shock, and akrapovic exhaust but it was a beast too. And so comfy. The best bike physically size wise for me, and always came away with a smile on my face. Only sold it to buy a house.

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 04 Feb 2018, 09:23

Ktm

Had more fun riding the ones i owned than anything else.
Plus you can get a toaster that puts the logo on the toast!

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 04 Feb 2018, 12:18

Clarkey wrote:
rumpoldstilskin wrote:I would love to say Benelli but then I have only owned the one, but the owners club is astonishingly good which made my expensive ownership enjoyable. The bike was immense to ride, looked completely different to everything else, sounded different, used different tech and was a twat to get parts for... but i’d own another in a heart beat.
Failing that Honda- because my Dads 76’ GL1000 is on its original clutch, (oil after first service), brakes, only just had new tyres due to one going bald, never needed any work other than exhausts as he took it for a lay down on his drunken wedding day. Also worth way more now than new.
Tornado right? How long did you own it for and what kinda milage did you do on it? Saw one in a bike shop yesterday, there's still something very cool about them - I should have taken up your offer for a go on it before it went!

Had it for 4 years, had the RS. Only put 4k on her but at the same time spent around £11/13k restoring her to the beast she was when i sold her.
When i first got it i could ride 300 or so miles comfortably but arthritic hip soon reduced that to 100 miles before i couldn’t walk.

If you are ever in the market for one, and there is one for sale, the 1130 is the one to go for, more scarce than my RS but no issues with them at all, dry clutch, hydraulic clutch lever, Jap electrics, italian power, ceramic headers etc etc a very rare beast.

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 04 Feb 2018, 12:18

jimmytanko wrote:
Clarkey wrote:

The ducati monster (1997 750) was the most uncomfortable one, it was just too small for me physically, and the riding position basically made me squash my nuts every time I hit the brakes!
The Vrf800 vtec I loved the engine and practicality, but the riding position was too far forwards for a bike like that, so long trips hurt my wrists.
Best bike was the tuono. 2003 rsv tuono. Had upgraded ohlins rear shock, and akrapovic exhaust but it was a beast too. And so comfy. The best bike physically size wise for me, and always came away with a smile on my face. Only sold it to buy a house.

Fair enough. I fell in love with the vfr vtec on paper but didn't like it when I took it for a spin - nothing wrong with it as such at all, just seemed gutless beneath the vtec and egged you on above it, but nicely made etc as you'd expect

Hopefully you can get another tuono in the future - the later model twins in blue or red are still one of my favourite looking ones

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 04 Feb 2018, 12:20

lee wrote:Ktm

Had more fun riding the ones i owned than anything else.
Plus you can get a toaster that puts the logo on the toast!
Never ridden one, but would gladly have a go. They are certainly not just 'another' in the same way lots of modern bikes are - and then sticking with tubular frame looks good - their gp bike is lovely looking too

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 04 Feb 2018, 12:22

rumpoldstilskin wrote:
Clarkey wrote:
rumpoldstilskin wrote:I would love to say Benelli but then I have only owned the one, but the owners club is astonishingly good which made my expensive ownership enjoyable. The bike was immense to ride, looked completely different to everything else, sounded different, used different tech and was a twat to get parts for... but i’d own another in a heart beat.
Failing that Honda- because my Dads 76’ GL1000 is on its original clutch, (oil after first service), brakes, only just had new tyres due to one going bald, never needed any work other than exhausts as he took it for a lay down on his drunken wedding day. Also worth way more now than new.
Tornado right? How long did you own it for and what kinda milage did you do on it? Saw one in a bike shop yesterday, there's still something very cool about them - I should have taken up your offer for a go on it before it went!

Had it for 4 years, had the RS. Only put 4k on her but at the same time spent around £11/13k restoring her to the beast she was when i sold her.
When i first got it i could ride 300 or so miles comfortably but arthritic hip soon reduced that to 100 miles before i couldn’t walk.

If you are ever in the market for one, and there is one for sale, the 1130 is the one to go for, more scarce than my RS but no issues with them at all, dry clutch, hydraulic clutch lever, Jap electrics, italian power, ceramic headers etc etc a very rare beast.
Jesus, do you shit money??

To be honest I'm not sure I'd ever get one as I don't think I'd favour one over a ducati and they'd be for a similar purpose, but I've never ridden one so that might be naive of me

Like I said, should have taken you up on your offer before you sold it

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 04 Feb 2018, 13:04

Clarkey wrote:
rumpoldstilskin wrote:
Clarkey wrote:Tornado right? How long did you own it for and what kinda milage did you do on it? Saw one in a bike shop yesterday, there's still something very cool about them - I should have taken up your offer for a go on it before it went!

Jesus, do you shit money??

To be honest I'm not sure I'd ever get one as I don't think I'd favour one over a ducati and they'd be for a similar purpose, but I've never ridden one so that might be naive of me

Like I said, should have taken you up on your offer before you sold it

I don’t drink or smoke, blow it all on bikes.
Tbh the Benelli was financed with my student grant, didn’t want to piss it up the wall like i would have done at 18 so played with first the RVF then the nelli. Didn’t need all that spending but when one bit is replaced with a shiny bit then it makes the test dull so...... more shiny bits please Image