Panigale

Talk about anything bike related.
Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:
Panigale

Post by Clarkey » 09 Jan 2018, 21:11

Now I've never ridden a Panigale, so the following is more akin to a school boy rambling about a bike on a poster in his room... But still...

The Panigale is clearly the most beautiful superbike for me, and a not-insignificant part of that is knowing it's a twin. Now I accept it'll be a short stroke screaming twin to get the kinda power they need from it, but a twin all the same... and it makes me a bit sad that they've now moved onto the Panigale V4. Aprilia moving to the RSV4 was similar a number of years ago, though ducati were still there to soften the blow, whereas now there's not any left making flagship, championship contending superbike twins

I know ducati will continue to make twins in their other bikes etc etc, but it seems like the end of an era... Just curious if anyone else feels the same?

Live Forever or Die Trying

Last edited by Clarkey on 09 Jan 2018, 21:11, edited 3 times in total.

Dave
Reactions:
Re: Panigale

Post by Dave » 09 Jan 2018, 23:18

Defo poster material , superb to look at . That 2018 Panigale launch is this Friday at 6 pm. Ducati Manchester and also at DMC moto in Preston. Fantastic bikes
:

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 09 Jan 2018, 23:24

Dave wrote:Defo poster material , superb to look at . That 2018 Panigale launch is this Friday at 6 pm. Ducati Manchester and also at DMC moto in Preston. Fantastic bikes
Good to see you're still around Dave

It's still clearly beautiful, and in many ways I'm sure it'll be the best Ducati ever (as should be expected with their latest bike), but can't help feel it's not really a ducati without a v-twin powering it

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 10 Jan 2018, 07:15

Can't say I feel like that about Ducati.
I can empathise though. I have a rose tinited longing for carburettors and air cooling.
I do find your position a little conflicted. You have been such an advocate of electric transport, now you mourn the next nail in the coffin of the combustion engine.
I totally get this conflict too. My head knows we have to migrate.that way, but my heart longs for the uncluttered restrictionless of yesteryear with thirsty aircooled fours and smokin' two strokes burning castrol R.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 10 Jan 2018, 07:44

Cabernet wrote:Can't say I feel like that about Ducati.
I can empathise though. I have a rose tinited longing for carburettors and air cooling.
I do find your position a little conflicted. You have been such an advocate of electric transport, now you mourn the next nail in the coffin of the combustion engine.
I totally get this conflict too. My head knows we have to migrate.that way, but my heart longs for the uncluttered restrictionless of yesteryear with thirsty aircooled fours and smokin' two strokes burning castrol R.
Can't disagree, it is a contradiction... I've never ridden a performance electric sports bike yet, but am looking forward to it.

The electric off road bikes I've ridden at E-Scape (http://www.e-scape.org.uk/home) certainly opened my eyes though - battery tech just isn't quite there for road bikes at an affordable decent range yet, but it'll get there

I think of ducati as beautiful v twins, similarly to Guzzi with their fairly unique layout - if Guzzi made an 4 I'd be less interested in that too... I guess Electric bikes may well come from new companies as much as existing ones

Imagine I'll always have a soft spot for the 916 though, even if only for occasional use, but who knows

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 10 Jan 2018, 08:01

916 , 996 , 998s. Always the best dukes to buy. When it changed to the 999, Ducati lost it there for me. The new version is so small it’s like sitting on a mini moto ? Maybe this was an objective of theirs to lower CoG and weight etc . It at what price? Superb looking as you say and I am sure in time it will win over the mindset
:

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 10 Jan 2018, 08:05

Dave wrote:916 , 996 , 998s. Always the best dukes to buy. When it changed to the 999, Ducati lost it there for me. The new version is so small it’s like sitting on a mini moto ? Maybe this was an objective of theirs to lower CoG and weight etc . It at what price? Superb looking as you say and I am sure in time it will win over the mindset
Amen... 916/996 Red with gold frame and 3 spoke wheels (don't think they did a 998 in this look) - still my favourite looking bike

CRM
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CRM » 10 Jan 2018, 19:24

Clarkey wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 08:05
Dave wrote:916 , 996 , 998s. Always the best dukes to buy. When it changed to the 999, Ducati lost it there for me. The new version is so small it’s like sitting on a mini moto ? Maybe this was an objective of theirs to lower CoG and weight etc . It at what price? Superb looking as you say and I am sure in time it will win over the mindset
Amen... 916/996 Red with gold frame and 3 spoke wheels (don't think they did a 998 in this look) - still my favourite looking bike

Or even an early 916 in the combo with 5 spokes in gold and the full 955 look ;)

Upgrade your account to VIP status to enable the Signature feature.

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 10 Jan 2018, 19:38

CRM wrote:
Clarkey wrote:
10 Jan 2018, 08:05

Or even an early 916 in the combo with 5 spokes in gold and the full 955 look ;)

Don't get me wrong, it's a very pretty thing, but the 3 spoke good rear wheel just does it for me in a way the 5 doesn't... Still a lovely bike though