Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Whats caught your eye for 2018?

Post by Cabernet » 24 Jan 2018, 18:11

Clarkey wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 15:38
Cabernet wrote:Just love the way they include the range between re-charges. Not exactly a zero emission.
What d'ya mean? They're energy agnostic, so if you use greenly produced electricity they're zero emission, if not the evidence is that they're still better than an ICE engined vehicles

Will stop horrific build up of tailpipe emissions in cities too

Live Forever or Die Trying
Lol. Try reading my post again. X
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 25 Jan 2018, 09:57

Cabernet wrote:
Clarkey wrote:
Cabernet wrote:Just love the way they include the range between re-charges. Not exactly a zero emission.
What d'ya mean? They're energy agnostic, so if you use greenly produced electricity they're zero emission, if not the evidence is that they're still better than an ICE engined vehicles

I didn't/don't know what you mean, lol... The rest was a guess at a reply but I've clearly missed the point... Want to enlighten me?

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 25 Jan 2018, 12:55

Clarkey wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 09:57
Cabernet wrote:
Clarkey wrote:

I didn't/don't know what you mean, lol... The rest was a guess at a reply but I've clearly missed the point... Want to enlighten me?

Well, zero is less than small.
They have not included the range of the bike machine in the spec.
This is a big part of the negative discussion on EV.
So had I said,"that was no small omission", you'd probably get it.
However, I played on words, substituting "small omission" for "zero emission".
I probably should have left you hanging.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 25 Jan 2018, 14:13

Cabernet wrote:
Clarkey wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 09:57
Cabernet wrote: Lol. Try reading my post again. X

Well, zero is less than small.
They have not included the range of the bike machine in the spec.
This is a big part of the negative discussion on EV.
So had I said,"that was no small omission", you'd probably get it.
However, I played on words, substituting "small omission" for "zero emission".
I probably should have left you hanging.
Ah ok

Yeah, they should make the range clear - it likely be just enough for commuting, but 25k isn't a good right for just that... It'll get better

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:
Whats caught your eye for 2018?

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 25 Jan 2018, 15:18

The only draw back with the whole zero emission thing is that the production of these green energy sources actually costs a lost energy wise to make; ok a lot can be made from recycled materials such as the housing for an EV cell but the glass; made from scratch or from recycled glass creates a lot of carbon emissions, then transporting it to said place etc, the guys installing these points drive around badly in ICE trucks, then they drink coffee from a well know Costa Fortune type facility and don’t recycle their cups, then add in the fact you have a 20minute wait at some service station whilst you wait for your bike to charge in a giant building that isn’t heated passively or greenly, so there’s extra carbon build up due to gas fired central heating or aircon.

Needs a total rethink, i for one will be purchasing an electric bike next, my mrs has a very good hybrid which saves us a tonne of money, the bike is the n xt logical step, plus think of all the money you’d save on servicing.... don’t know about most of you but my last service on the MV was over £750!! The HD’s first is around £250 so not nearly as bad but on an EV bike, quick update on maps, check tyres and bearings- thats about it. And a new 15Kv motor.... £900 should you manage to fk yours up.

All in all a better deal.
I know personally with seeing things progress i’ve put my measly pension into Lithium stocks, hoping carbon cells don’t get too popular anytime soon.

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 25 Jan 2018, 16:50

rumpoldstilskin wrote:The only draw back with the whole zero emission thing is that the production of these green energy sources actually costs a lost energy wise to make; ok a lot can be made from recycled materials such as the housing for an EV cell but the glass; made from scratch or from recycled glass creates a lot of carbon emissions, then transporting it to said place etc, the guys installing these points drive around badly in ICE trucks, then they drink coffee from a well know Costa Fortune type facility and don’t recycle their cups, then add in the fact you have a 20minute wait at some service station whilst you wait for your bike to charge in a giant building that isn’t heated passively or greenly, so there’s extra carbon build up due to gas fired central heating or aircon.

Needs a total rethink, i for one will be purchasing an electric bike next, my mrs has a very good hybrid which saves us a tonne of money, the bike is the n xt logical step, plus think of all the money you’d save on servicing.... don’t know about most of you but my last service on the MV was over £750!! The HD’s first is around £250 so not nearly as bad but on an EV bike, quick update on maps, check tyres and bearings- thats about it. And a new 15Kv motor.... £900 should you manage to fk yours up.

I know personally with seeing things progress i’ve put my measly pension into Lithium stocks, hoping carbon cells don’t get too popular anytime soon.
When the range is right you'll charge it at home more often than not though

What car does your mrs have? Is it a plug in hybrid?

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 25 Jan 2018, 21:39

Clarkey wrote:
rumpoldstilskin wrote:The only draw back with the whole zero emission thing is that the production of these green energy sources actually costs a lost energy wise to make; ok a lot can be made from recycled materials such as the housing for an EV cell but the glass; made from scratch or from recycled glass creates a lot of carbon emissions, then transporting it to said place etc, the guys installing these points drive around badly in ICE trucks, then they drink coffee from a well know Costa Fortune type facility and don’t recycle their cups, then add in the fact you have a 20minute wait at some service station whilst you wait for your bike to charge in a giant building that isn’t heated passively or greenly, so there’s extra carbon build up due to gas fired central heating or aircon.

At the moment its a eco hybrid, Kia Niro. Gets around 600/650 miles on 40lt, big car too. She’s looking to get the new plug in hybrid that does over 179miles to the gallon

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 25 Jan 2018, 21:45

rumpoldstilskin wrote:
Clarkey wrote:

At the moment its a eco hybrid, Kia Niro. Gets around 600/650 miles on 40lt, big car too. She’s looking to get the new plug in hybrid that does over 179miles to the gallon
Ah right... Well depending on her commute / usual usage pure electric range might be just as important as average combined mpg?

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 25 Jan 2018, 23:16

240 miles to mummy's ever six weeks there abouts. EV don't work for me yet.

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 25 Jan 2018, 23:43

Cabernet wrote:240 miles to mummy's ever six weeks there abouts. EV don't work for me yet.
Ai, they're not for everyone yet, at least not those in the likely price range... A Tesla S or X would do it, but they ain't cheap (to be fair for the performance you get they're reasonable compared to ICE equivalents, but still not 'normal person' priced - if I dare describe you as that)

I'd love to have a Tesla, but will need to keep dreaming for now!