YZFR1 a laymans review

Talk about anything bike related.
ducatigaz69
Reactions:
YZFR1 a laymans review

Post by ducatigaz69 » 05 Apr 2015, 10:13

Picked up the new R1 yesterday, red in colour.

Took her out for a 'warm up' and I have to say its an impressive tool.

Looks: I like it a lot, tail has a touch of Ducati styling to it, front end is a refreshing change for a Japanese bike, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.

Equipment: Traction, slide, lift control and linked ABS, some of the most advanced tech currently available to road bikes. Quick shifter is superb, seamless almost and I don't usually approve of them for road bikes, now I doubt I would have a sports bike on road without one. The LCD dash is superb, lots of pretty lights, all colour but easy to use. The rider modes are easy to access and are almost infinitely adjustable. Display even indicates applied break pressure and weight distribution.

Ride: its a race bike so not exactly comfortable, low speed its as uncomfortable as all the other track focused tools, obvious statement but a fact. Stock suspension settings are fine and the changing road conditions didn't unsettle her. She felt stable and planted although I was not thrashing her, running in, new tires and all that. Had the safest mode on initially and while smooth delivery you could feel the power reduction, but it's there for a purpose. Switched her up a notch and the difference was highly noticeable. Again smooth delivery, and using QS your progressing quicker than you realise. I didn't put her in to the next to 2 higher and full power modes, bedding her in gently and getting to know her, plus the super corsa SP tires need some proper heat in them. That said the rubber didn't cause concern once even though temperatures were not particularly high. Tucked in the wind protection is good, it's very agile, she goes quickly and effortlessly where you point her. It's a small bike, feels lite considering engine capacity. She stops as well as she goes, but again I wasn't hooning around on her like a loony.

Overall impression: I can see what the fuss is about, I am a Ducati man, own a 1098s so Jap bikes don't generally flick my switch. I do have a gixxer600 track only bike, so it's not that I don't like jap bikes just love Ducati.
The R1 is my first road Jap bike in about 5 years and I think it is superb, can't wait to get her in full power modes and on track. Build quality is very good, Yamaha have done a proper job on this one. £15k may seem a bit much but consider whats on it and its potential capabilities and I think its worth it, especially next to its "rivals" such as 'blade SP.
It needs an after market can, too quite for a Ducati fan and maybe ohlins rear shock and front for internals...once added the R1 will undoubtedly be winning track days bragging rights.

This one is being used for the Ulster GP, hopefully we will get in the higher end of the final standings.

Buy one if your in the market and have the money, seriosuly you wont be disappointed.

G

Dave
Reactions:
Re: YZFR1 a laymans review

Post by Dave » 05 Apr 2015, 12:22

great news Gaz, Lilday said he was off to meet you after leaving me in the Morn..Incidentially who is on it at the Ulster , I normally go there every year ,one of the best places to go and watch the fast boys ..it makes the TT look "normal"

I made friends with the Travelling Doc a couple of years ago , he had a KTM RC8..he is a professional doctor , but also a National race licence holder . he just "rides" at the back of the pack during the race …fantastic racer he could have easily have overtaken a lot of riders in one race

Will try catch you in the paddock if you are over there
:

ducatigaz69
Reactions:

Post by ducatigaz69 » 07 Apr 2015, 08:25

Dave,

PRB Racing is the team, Rob Barber is the rider.

Your very welcome in the paddock, when it gets closer to the date I will PM you with my mobile number.

Cheers

Gary

stewslash
Reactions:

Post by stewslash » 07 Apr 2015, 10:15

Glad your loving it, the reviews I've seen seem to love the chassis , put the electronics pack as being probably the best around and within 2 bhp of the new Beemer ( same dyno used ) what's not to like

ducatigaz69
Reactions:

Post by ducatigaz69 » 07 Apr 2015, 21:34

Testing at Jerez had the R1 beat the Beemer and the 1299 panni, my money is Dunlop and Harrison to do the business at the TT. Also Brooke's in BSB at time of writing I haven't seen any results from donnington so may have to eat my words. Will watch it later so no spoilers please lol

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 07 Apr 2015, 22:01

ducatigaz69 wrote:Testing at Jerez had the R1 beat the Beemer and the 1299 panni, my money is Dunlop and Harrison to do the business at the TT. Also Brooke's in BSB at time of writing I haven't seen any results from donnington so may have to eat my words. Will watch it later so no spoilers please lol
Ive followed Dean Harrison for around 5 years now , My friend Baz sponsors his Dads sidecar, Deano on the right bike will be a force to be reckoned with …he beat Guy at Olivers Mount last year …i posted on the Old NW ….watch this kid about three years ago .

Thanks Gaz , Hoping to get the Ulster , We go for the day , Fly out sat am then fly home that night . LOng day but OMG is it worth it , especially if its a dry race
:

ducatigaz69
Reactions:

Post by ducatigaz69 » 08 Apr 2015, 22:24

So Brooke's went well in race 1, shame the incident in race 2 had him off the pace. Mostly a stock bike so it certainly appears to be a capable bike right out the box ( had standard swing arm and engine according to MCN article)

Dave
We will be at the Ulster for sure on the modified R1 and then off to Pikes Peak where Rob has been invited over to race the electric bike, happy days....racing doesn't get much better than this lol

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 09 Apr 2015, 07:08

Pikes peak ... Wow ! That's now on my bucket list since I saw it on the guy Martin shows ....jammy sod .
:

ducatigaz69
Reactions:

Post by ducatigaz69 » 09 Apr 2015, 21:21

I am hoping to go with the team for pikes, definitely a once in life time must do for bike fans, will let you know if I am heading out there