Assistance from Road Traffic Act nerd please.

Talk about anything bike related.
lee
Reactions:
Re: Assistance from Road Traffic Act nerd please.

Post by lee » 19 Nov 2016, 08:59

You rode up a giraffes neck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee
Reactions:
Assistance from Road Traffic Act nerd please.

Post by lee » 19 Nov 2016, 09:01

Ah. So if im getting this, the near side of the car in both cases, but they would be from different directions?

Jim27
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Jim27 » 19 Nov 2016, 09:15

It's legal to pass on the inside if the vehicle in the outside lane is going slower than the speed limit. As with filtering though you have to recognise that the danger is increases and discharge the increased duty of care when doing it. I do it from time to time where dawdlers pull out from the left sideroad and straight into the outside lane on a 4 lane road. Sometimes they're turning right ahead but other times they just fancy the outside lane because half a mile down the road the left lane filters into the right hand one, so they pull into the right hand lane half a mile early and dawdle at 20mph. Can't point you to the specific road law though as I've always just referred to the Highway Code as mentioned already.
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 19 Nov 2016, 10:14

lee wrote:Ah. So if im getting this, the near side of the car in both cases, but they would be from different directions?

Think you're up to speed Lee.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 19 Nov 2016, 17:32

Cabernet wrote:
lee wrote:Ah. So if im getting this, the near side of the car in both cases, but they would be from different directions?

Think you're up to speed Lee.

Great bit of extreme filtering that.

J..R
Reactions:

Post by J..R » 19 Nov 2016, 22:54

Jim27 wrote:It's legal to pass on the inside if the vehicle in the outside lane is going slower than the speed limit.
Jim, this is something I was going to ask, but you've already answered it for me.

(traffic in outside lane of Runcorn Bridge going between 25-30mph heading towards Weston Point/M56, and traffic on inside lane going much faster heading towards the Old Town etc).

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 19 Nov 2016, 23:12

I would just add, a vehicle would have to be significantly below the speed limit before I would undertake. Then I would do it swiftly without breaching the speed limit.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

jaffa1963
Reactions:

Post by jaffa1963 » 20 Nov 2016, 10:58

Cab,

For what it's worth here's my five penneth:_

So the scenario is filtering down the middle of the road and then around a car facing you that is turning right (I guess stationary or moving very slowly)? Instead of waiting for it to turn you decide to go around it on the other side of the road.

I can't see this manoeuvre as being illegal if there is no other traffic coming towards you unless it's across a solid white line, hatched with solid border or the wrong side of a traffic island.

However it does import a lot of risk and liability should an accident or near miss occur as the move would probably not be expected by other road users and a copper could consider it dangerous.

I've done this a number of times but always when there is no other oncoming traffic that could be effected (including side streets on my right hand side) and the oncoming right turning vehicle is stationary and very clearly intent on turning right with extremely remote chance of driver deciding to abort the move so turn back in to my path.

I also agree with you on the undertake. I'm also wary when undertaking vans turning right due to the huge blindspot they create for oncoming traffic.

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 20 Nov 2016, 14:55

lee wrote:You rode up a giraffes neck?

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 20 Nov 2016, 16:51

jaffa1963 wrote:Cab,

For what it's worth here's my five penneth:_

So the scenario is filtering down the middle of the road and then around a car facing you that is turning right (I guess stationary or moving very slowly)? Instead of waiting for it to turn you decide to go around it on the other side of the road.

I can't see this manoeuvre as being illegal if there is no other traffic coming towards you unless it's across a solid white line, hatched with solid border or the wrong side of a traffic island.

However it does import a lot of risk and liability should an accident or near miss occur as the move would probably not be expected by other road users and a copper could consider it dangerous.

I've done this a number of times but always when there is no other oncoming traffic that could be effected (including side streets on my right hand side) and the oncoming right turning vehicle is stationary and very clearly intent on turning right with extremely remote chance of driver deciding to abort the move so turn back in to my path.

I also agree with you on the undertake. I'm also wary when undertaking vans turning right due to the huge blindspot they create for oncoming traffic.
Jaffa,
With the wide spread use of dash cams this manoeuvre along with offsiding has been relegated to the history books I suggest.

However, I was just wondering if the wording of pure law might be the ass it can be.

Sent wrestling with Tapatalk.