Any first hand advice of personal injury and bike repairs

Talk about anything bike related.
Jim27
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Any first hand advice of personal injury and bike repair

Post by Jim27 » 14 May 2016, 08:09

I also know that there are one or two folk who lurk on here and other forums, not bothering to engage or get involved but the moment someone has an accident they dive in trying to get the poor sod to agree to let them handle their claim. For a healthy 10%+ slice, of course. Vultures...
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 14 May 2016, 09:06

Cheers jim.
Thats the reason i havent rushed in to anything.
My insurance want me to use this 4th dimension for everything. Including uninsured losses. They seem to have a department for everything (assessment, repairs, injuries) a one stop shop to extort the maximum amount and im not interested other than getting an initial assessment.

As you said. I want someone who will directly recover their fees from the third party.
No rush for this though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hyobaz
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by hyobaz » 15 May 2016, 20:55

When I claimed on my helmet and leathers insurance after my crash , I was told to take pics of everything ruined and provide prices I paid for stuff ( with receipts if poss ) as well as a rough idea of how old / when I purchased said gear .................. they then came back to me with prices to replace my old gear and deducted 10% per year of age ........ so for example , if your jacket is 4yrs old and costs £400 now to replace , you will lose 40% of the cost etc

Personal Accident cover doesn't help much either unless you lose a limb or die .......... I spent 4 days in hospital and was off work 14 weeks and couldn't claim a penny off insurance 'cos my injuries weren't '' permanent ''

Hope this helps a little

Baz

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 15 May 2016, 21:56

hyobaz wrote:When I claimed on my helmet and leathers insurance after my crash , I was told to take pics of everything ruined and provide prices I paid for stuff ( with receipts if poss ) as well as a rough idea of how old / when I purchased said gear .................. they then came back to me with prices to replace my old gear and deducted 10% per year of age ........ so for example , if your jacket is 4yrs old and costs £400 now to replace , you will lose 40% of the cost etc

Personal Accident cover doesn't help much either unless you lose a limb or die .......... I spent 4 days in hospital and was off work 14 weeks and couldn't claim a penny off insurance 'cos my injuries weren't '' permanent ''

Hope this helps a little

Baz
Cheers baz.

Im not claiming off any of my policies.
Im going to have a conversation with a solicitor tomorrow as i expect everything to be replaced with the equivalent new items.
Its not like I'm going go out and buy a used lid.

Ill see what they reckon.

Cliff
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Cliff » 17 May 2016, 07:37

Hi Lee,
Just seen this, very sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you are ok and can get the bike sorted out quickly.
It's all about the TT ....

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 17 May 2016, 09:18

Cliff wrote:Hi Lee,
Just seen this, very sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you are ok and can get the bike sorted out quickly.
Thanks cliff.
Should have an idea on bike by end of week hopefully.

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 03 Jun 2016, 19:05

So i thought id post a quick update.
Bike was written off. Cat c with approx £3700 of damage.
I realise where the claim management company get all their hire bikes from.
Got a cheque through for the value of the bike less the salvage value (buy back value).
If i dont want it then the claim handling company will keep the bike and send a cheque for the savage amount. And they will no doubt repair the ktm and it will be another of their hire fleet.

So not too bad. In total i will get back an amount i am very happy with. And that part is settled within 3 weeks of the accident.

Been on to a solicitor to claim for my gear etc.
Very well known outfit but im not massively happy with the "no win no fee, but we keep 20% of your injury payout".
Not signed up yet so i will have a look around.
Im sure the union im with do legal cover and look after personal injury stuff etc so will try them. Id rather be with someone who claims their fees from the third party tbh.

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 03 Jun 2016, 20:41

lee wrote:So i thought id post a quick update.
Bike was written off. Cat c with approx £3700 of damage.
I realise where the claim management company get all their hire bikes from.
Got a cheque through for the value of the bike less the salvage value (buy back value).
If i dont want it then the claim handling company will keep the bike and send a cheque for the savage amount. And they will no doubt repair the ktm and it will be another of their hire fleet.

So not too bad. In total i will get back an amount i am very happy with. And that part is settled within 3 weeks of the accident.

Been on to a solicitor to claim for my gear etc.
Very well known outfit but im not massively happy with the "no win no fee, but we keep 20% of your injury payout".
Not signed up yet so i will have a look around.
Im sure the union im with do legal cover and look after personal injury stuff etc so will try them. Id rather be with someone who claims their fees from the third party tbh.

they do claim their fees from the third party but then take 20% ontop.

My dad had a claim years ago, fell put a wagon, wagon 'vanished', claim took years, dad couldn't walk for 3 after having his foot stitched back on. The solicitors, no win no fee, as his company made the wagon 'vanish' wouldn't pay sick pay so he went with that type of claim handler whilst on SSP.

Long story short, the claim came in at £225k from his place of work!! He got just £8k of that as the solicitors fees were extortionately high and 5 years of court fees, legal document, paying for taxi's for barristers etc etc all came out of what the claim handlers secured. Absolute con.

So yes, use your work union :)

Dooffle
Reactions:

Post by Dooffle » 19 Jun 2016, 16:31

Shit news about the bike, Lee. Good to see that you are OK that's the main thing.

Can't help with the insurance bit.

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 27 Jun 2016, 08:36

Glad your ok lad. A nice bit of shopping for gear and bike replacement should cheer you up nicely
Revving the bollox off it since 1982