Garage service vs diy

Talk about anything bike related.
Pacuk
VIP
Reactions:
Garage service vs diy

Post by Pacuk » 11 Feb 2016, 13:39

Bikes due a service soon, I did the plugs oil filter myself last year and am at the point where the service history will become sketchy if I do it myself again.. I've spoke to kwak and they said they'd do the service for 100 and stamp the book but it'll only be a brake service as I'll still do the rest myself.. Really I'm paying for the stamp so I can sell or trade with history when the time comes.. How much difference does it actually make on aftersale price??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Garage service vs diy

Post by cupidstunt » 11 Feb 2016, 16:07

Ive done all my services myself not really arsed about stamps im more concerned about it beeing done properly . Anyone who has seen my bike will tell you that it is well maintained for a 14 year old bike and this is not bullshit i was recently offered what i paid for it 10 years ago so if you look after it yourself its not an issue :D
:geek: HEAD PERVERT :geek:

Pacuk
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Pacuk » 11 Feb 2016, 16:16

I'm ok with basic stuff oil filters plug etc.. Not so confident with the bigger stuff tbh but 100 quid for a brake service seems excesice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:

Post by cupidstunt » 11 Feb 2016, 16:24

Thing is mate if you dont try you dont learn the secret is to get all the information you can and take your time when doing it unless you are really not sure your up to doing it then you have no choice but to pay a garage
:geek: HEAD PERVERT :geek:

Marco
Reactions:

Post by Marco » 11 Feb 2016, 16:57

Thing is with brake service is that it will prob save u like £30-£50 quid doing it ur self depending on how much u can get the seals for. It's pretty strait forward to do like

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 11 Feb 2016, 17:30

if you do it yourself, keep a log of what you do and when you do it. Attach the invoices for materials to this also.

Any prospective buyer who sees a clean decent condition machine, with correct tyre pressure, correct chain adjustment, clean oil in the sight glass etc, will know the bike has been looked after and your paperwork will back that up
:

johnnyrotten13
Reactions:

Post by johnnyrotten13 » 11 Feb 2016, 18:21

being unemployed i do all my own sevicing,its all about having the confidence to do it, i was brought up on bikes in the 70s and only ever had 2 strokes which are a piece of piss to work on and the, thought of working on 4 strokes was to say the least daunting,anyway last year i decided to check my valves on the blackbird 1st time ever working on a 4 stroke engine and that too was pretty easy though time consuming, and it ran like a dream after,i was pretty happy with myself as ive taught myself everything i know,and am now confindent enough to do a full rebuild if need be, like i said its all down to confidence.

pip
VIP
Reactions:

Post by pip » 11 Feb 2016, 19:45

everything you need to know is on the internet. study,take your time and dont be afraid to ask for help.

Dooffle
Reactions:

Post by Dooffle » 12 Feb 2016, 12:48

I do all my own servicing.

Not bothered about service stamps as I keep all receipts even down to the odd screw I've replaced. Jot the date and mileage on the receipt.

I usually do a few bits of tidying and strip/grease and clean while I'm at it. It's the time when you can spot if anything is wearing or looking a bit suspect.

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 12 Feb 2016, 20:33

There was some legislation that came out last or the previous year that states you are no longer bound to stick with main dealer or eg. Kawasaki for a kawasaki to get your log book stamped.
On a new bike it kind of goes hand in hand, i'm getting stung for £157 soon for the MV's first service but its brand new.

My benelli which is somewhat rarer, more complicated and bloody expensive to repair... I've done it all my self bar the valve clearances. I do all my bike myself, especially when some places charge upto £90 p/h.

An oil change on most bikes is two nuts, the air filter say 12 bolts (tank and air box cover), plugs x6 max and there respective caps if any. DIY :)