Problem with L bikes

Talk about anything bike related.
rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:
Problem with L bikes

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 09 Dec 2015, 18:26

Just riding home up the Rainford bypass and come across a problem i hadn't thought about and have never personally had.

The problem i saw was a <125cc scooter needed to make a Right Turn across the dual carriage way at a way point but his bike was struggling to make it to 40mph.

Now 40mph may not be that sluggish but indicating right from the N/S lane across the O/S lane to make a Right Turn through the central reservation brings about hazards i hadn't thought about.....

There was slow moving traffic in front of him in lane 1 and approaching traffic from the rear in pane 2.

As he indicated and made his checks correctly and moved across he did so quite late, close to the cut through and had to brake hard to make the turn across the central reservation.

His problem was a seriously underpowered bike could have killed him in my honest opinion.

As he moved out a car in lane 1 moved with him as there was slower traffic ahead in lane 1 but he needed to brake hard to turn across the centre and the poor sod in the car nearly had him. I stopped with the car driver a little further down as he was going all shades of white.

Where does the highway code stand on this? Or more so what would the view of the police be had the car driver collided? As both made checks and both weren't speeding.

lee
Reactions:
Re: Problem with L bikes

Post by lee » 09 Dec 2015, 19:14

Dunno but speaking of dual carriageways I was surprised to find a black car parked sideways in lane 2 of the lancs as he wanted to cross the central reservation where there is no barrier.
I would have seen him a bit sooner had there been any lights on that stretch, or had he bothered to use his indicators or even switch on his lights.......

I now know surprise can be brown and runny......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ListerTheStupid
Reactions:

Post by ListerTheStupid » 09 Dec 2015, 19:20

I've go no power now, I just make my move early and fook everyone behind me.

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 09 Dec 2015, 19:37

Let me just say slower vehicle indicating right faster vehicle coming down os lane can see it the speed limit is maximum not you have to go this fast so the high way code does apply and you can undertake slow moving traffic or traffic signaling right.
I don't beleave it's a under powered bike that's even doing anything remotely wrong if others allowed these slower vehicles to perform there manoeuvres then they wouldn't panick and think gap go go go.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

rjvader
Reactions:

Post by rjvader » 09 Dec 2015, 19:48

lee wrote:Dunno but speaking of dual carriageways I was surprised to find a black car parked sideways in lane 2 of the lancs as he wanted to cross the central reservation where there is no barrier.
I would have seen him a bit sooner had there been any lights on that stretch, or had he bothered to use his indicators or even switch on his lights.......

I now know surprise can be brown and runny......

bout 800 meters towards manchester from haydock island (m6 junction) ? literally the exact same thing happened to me a few weeks back... im almost certain the poop forced out by the fright gave an extra 1mph on my personal best grom top speed haha.

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 09 Dec 2015, 20:35

rumpoldstilskin wrote:
moved across he did so quite late, close to the cut through and had to brake hard to make the turn across the central reservation.

Where does the highway code stand on this? Or more so what would the view of the police be had the car driver collided? As both made checks and both weren't speeding.

He was obviously a new-ish rider (L Plates) so his reading of the hazards / situations ..needs improving ,this will come with experience….your line I've quote above saying he braked hard!!! he should have read the situation form further back and had a plan of action…….

In relation to the Car driver….should he hit the bike from behind….it would be his fault for being to close …

riders like RJ and Lister on these Groms ( which won't have much more power) can read the road ahead, make a plan and execute it…experience
:

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 09 Dec 2015, 20:39

SMUDGER wrote:Let me just say slower vehicle indicating right faster vehicle coming down os lane can see it the speed limit is maximum not you have to go this fast so the high way code does apply and you can undertake slow moving traffic or traffic signaling right.
I don't beleave it's a under powered bike that's even doing anything remotely wrong if others allowed these slower vehicles to perform there manoeuvres then they wouldn't panick and think gap go go go.

It wasn't that, he was doing say 35mph on the 60mph stretch of the rainford bypass (last section towards the M57 junction not long after the long sweeping left corner)

He did a life saver check, indicated and moved into the right lane and immediately braked for his entry to the central reservation cut through to the houses on the right.
The car that moved over with him as there was slow moving traffic in lane one had to slam on as you can't really expect someone indicate right into and empty lane to overtake slow traffic to then brake suddenly with a clear lane ahead, the right turn isn't marked, its just there for both sides of the bypass and farm traffic to use.

Its a bit of a grey area, just been talking to local plod about it.

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 09 Dec 2015, 20:44

Dave wrote:
rumpoldstilskin wrote:
moved across he did so quite late, close to the cut through and had to brake hard to make the turn across the central reservation.

He was obviously a new-ish rider (L Plates) so his reading of the hazards / situations ..needs improving ,this will come with experience….your line I've quote above saying he braked hard!!! he should have read the situation form further back and had a plan of action…….

In relation to the Car driver….should he hit the bike from behind….it would be his fault for being to close …

riders like RJ and Lister on these Groms ( which won't have much more power) can read the road ahead, make a plan and execute it…experience
I was thinking move across much earlier and then there is clear definition of your intent to turn right as there is no more right hand lanes :)
But when your bike can only do ~35 and other road users try to intimidate from behind......... Sketchy. And i do realise tractors usually travel much slower and rarely indicate or even have working lights but...... Would you argue with a tractor?

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 09 Dec 2015, 20:47

Sure 125 can do a lot more than 35 mine was shite Chinese it did 56mph 65mph with iridium plugs

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 09 Dec 2015, 21:37

SMUDGER wrote:Sure 125 can do a lot more than 35 mine was shite Chinese it did 56mph 65mph with iridium plugs

was windy as shit before. Followed him from the kirby turn off, ~36 indicated speed.