Bike suggestions

Talk about anything bike related.
Jim27
VIP
Reactions:
Bike suggestions

Post by Jim27 » 12 Oct 2015, 18:39

Someone I know is wanting suggestions for a bike purchase.

They're 50 and have previously owned a CBR600 many moons ago (10 yrs ago) and haven't owned a bike since (although have ridden other bikes from time to time). They work long hours and have family commitments so won't be out on it all the time - just now and again. When I asked what kind of bike the only feedback I got was "something a bit more tourer than sports". I think this is more to do with riding position than performance, although they have said that they much prefer faired bikes over naked bikes. Additionally, they aren't particularly mechanically minded so it's unlikely they'll be happy doing much tinkering, maintenance, fixing stuff themselves.

Budget is £2,500.

I love my Aprilia and would dearly love to suggest a tidy Falco, however being an Aprilia I don't think it would appreciate being left under a cover for perhaps 2-3 months and then being expected to fire up on the button for a weekend blast. On top of that, I'm not convinced that Aprilia ownership is a good idea if you're not happy to tinker and get your hands dirty lol.

Other bikes got discounted due to being naked, or simply from having too many miles on them when getting into the £2,500 budget zone (ideally I'd think sub 30k is the target, but sub 20k would be nice).

Having looked at all sorts I've eventually narrowed it down to either a Honda VTR1000 Firestorm or a Suzuki SV1000. Both have Jap reliability, but make good touring bikes and are the comfier sports-tourer rather than full-on sports bikes. From an aesthetic point of view I'd go for the fully faired versions (includong bellypans).

There seem to be more Firestorms available for under the £2,500 limit than SV1000s, plus the SV1000s I can see all tend to be high 20k or touching 30k mileage, whereas the Firestorms seem to have lower mileage ones in the price bracket (some sub-20k).

I'll confess that I've never ridden either so would be interested to hear what people think of the riding position compared to more regular sports bikes.

I've also notices on Auto Trader some traders getting into the habit of advertising all their "older" bikes as "spares or repair" and pleading that this is the only way they can legally sell those bikes under Trading Standards rules, yet still asking full market retail price. Bullshit. Seems to me they're wanting to sell used bikes without copping for any statutory responsibility/warranty. I wouldn't mind buying as spares/repairs but I certainly wouldn't want to pay full price for it!

There's actually a very nice Repsol VTR1000 on the Trader now for £2,500 which I've also seen on ebay. It sold on ebay a couple of months ago for £3,000 and is now up at a trader as "spares/repairs" for £2,500 and with 200 extra miles on it. The ebay listing doesn't state Cat C but the trader selling it does. Thoughts? Seems like a lot of bike for the money but then when you look at standard Firestorms the £2,500 they're asking seems a little strong given that that's what ordinary Firestorms of that age/mileage fetch without a Cat C/D marker against them. Is a Repsol Anniversary limited edition really worth that bit more?

General thoughts/suggestions very welcome peeps :)
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.

cheekykev
Reactions:
Re: Bike suggestions

Post by cheekykev » 12 Oct 2015, 20:39

I have had FireStorms for the last 16 years and still have one now, they are a great bike, very underestimated, and you get the added pleasure of the big V twin sound, plus due to the low down torque they are very good for carrying a passenger around, in my opinion they do everything you need to for the road.
Don't be in too much of a rush to get sucked in by dodgy dealers, I'm on the FireStorm forum so I have a good idea of what's around and at what price, you should be able to pick a nice looked after private one for around £2,500 so why bother with the dodgy dealers.
Going off your comments of what they are looking for, another one to consider maybe is a VFR 800, but I've never had one so can't comment.

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 12 Oct 2015, 21:27

Superduke or tuono v4.

Easy.

Or maybe a 1200 multistrada.

Goody
Reactions:

Post by Goody » 13 Oct 2015, 01:08

Definitely recommend the firestorm,had mine for just over six yrs now and even though I'm looking for second bike I don't think I'll ever part with the storm,it's a proper do it all bike and so easy to just jump on and ride

mozzersaints
VIP
Reactions:

Post by mozzersaints » 13 Oct 2015, 17:08

Jim27 wrote:Someone I know is wanting suggestions for a bike purchase.

They're 50 and have previously owned a CBR600 many moons ago (10 yrs ago) and haven't owned a bike since (although have ridden other bikes from time to time). They work long hours and have family commitments so won't be out on it all the time - just now and again. When I asked what kind of bike the only feedback I got was "something a bit more tourer than sports". I think this is more to do with riding position than performance, although they have said that they much prefer faired bikes over naked bikes. Additionally, they aren't particularly mechanically minded so it's unlikely they'll be happy doing much tinkering, maintenance, fixing stuff themselves.

Budget is £2,500.

I love my Aprilia and would dearly love to suggest a tidy Falco, however being an Aprilia I don't think it would appreciate being left under a cover for perhaps 2-3 months and then being expected to fire up on the button for a weekend blast. On top of that, I'm not convinced that Aprilia ownership is a good idea if you're not happy to tinker and get your hands dirty lol.

Other bikes got discounted due to being naked, or simply from having too many miles on them when getting into the £2,500 budget zone (ideally I'd think sub 30k is the target, but sub 20k would be nice).

Having looked at all sorts I've eventually narrowed it down to either a Honda VTR1000 Firestorm or a Suzuki SV1000. Both have Jap reliability, but make good touring bikes and are the comfier sports-tourer rather than full-on sports bikes. From an aesthetic point of view I'd go for the fully faired versions (includong bellypans).

There seem to be more Firestorms available for under the £2,500 limit than SV1000s, plus the SV1000s I can see all tend to be high 20k or touching 30k mileage, whereas the Firestorms seem to have lower mileage ones in the price bracket (some sub-20k).

I'll confess that I've never ridden either so would be interested to hear what people think of the riding position compared to more regular sports bikes.

I've also notices on Auto Trader some traders getting into the habit of advertising all their "older" bikes as "spares or repair" and pleading that this is the only way they can legally sell those bikes under Trading Standards rules, yet still asking full market retail price. Bullshit. Seems to me they're wanting to sell used bikes without copping for any statutory responsibility/warranty. I wouldn't mind buying as spares/repairs but I certainly wouldn't want to pay full price for it!

There's actually a very nice Repsol VTR1000 on the Trader now for £2,500 which I've also seen on ebay. It sold on ebay a couple of months ago for £3,000 and is now up at a trader as "spares/repairs" for £2,500 and with 200 extra miles on it. The ebay listing doesn't state Cat C but the trader selling it does. Thoughts? Seems like a lot of bike for the money but then when you look at standard Firestorms the £2,500 they're asking seems a little strong given that that's what ordinary Firestorms of that age/mileage fetch without a Cat C/D marker against them. Is a Repsol Anniversary limited edition really worth that bit more?

General thoughts/suggestions very welcome peeps :)
I know where there is a black 929,20k runs and starts first time every time, rides ok has some gold colour foot pegs that someone once told me was worth a fortune, new chain sprockets, new wavy discs on the front plastics need some tlc, two different exhausts to use, rear seat and plastic cover if you don't like the rear seat on, 1300 quid
TO STRIVE,TO SEEK,TO FIND AND NOT TO YIELD

Jim27
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Jim27 » 13 Oct 2015, 17:28

That yours you're getting rid of Mozz? Great bikes, the 929s. Too much of a sports bike though I think for what this chap's looking for. At least with the VTR1000 the grips are raised up quite a bit...
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.

mozzersaints
VIP
Reactions:

Post by mozzersaints » 13 Oct 2015, 18:02

Jim27 wrote:That yours you're getting rid of Mozz? Great bikes, the 929s. Too much of a sports bike though I think for what this chap's looking for. At least with the VTR1000 the grips are raised up quite a bit...
Yep im getting shut

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
TO STRIVE,TO SEEK,TO FIND AND NOT TO YIELD

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 13 Oct 2015, 18:18

What about a vfr1200 jim?

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 13 Oct 2015, 18:28

surely that would be out of budget lee ? A decent VFR800 would be a great buy. Its a good time to buy private now as most will have to drop a few quid to sell ,or they will be stuck with them throughout winter
:

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 13 Oct 2015, 19:02

Dave wrote:surely that would be out of budget lee ? A decent VFR800 would be a great buy. Its a good time to buy private now as most will have to drop a few quid to sell ,or they will be stuck with them throughout winter
There is a budget?

Although its a tiny post by jims standards, I only got as far as the first sentence before skipping the rest.