Helmet modifying

Talk about anything bike related.
SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:
Helmet modifying

Post by SMUDGER » 22 Sep 2015, 12:45

So here's the story bought a couple cobra 2 ways and some vox/ptt headsets not cheap headsets either my problem is the ear phones diameter is bigger than what my helmet will allow. Could I cut back more of the fabric/foam as there is a cut out for the ear piece so if I make this bigger to accommodate the head phones would this alter the helmet integrity??? Helmet is a arlen ness flip I'll post some pics later of exactly what I mean

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Dave
Reactions:
Re: Helmet modifying

Post by Dave » 22 Sep 2015, 15:15

Hi smudge. A few of the IAM lads have autocom headsets which have large in helmet speakers . They trim the edges of the speakers to fit into the recess . One had a helmet , not sure which make , but after trimming the edge of the speaker, it was still a little tight so he compressed the foam inner slightly with a hot spoon . Seem to do the job without damaging anything . Don't think it would be a good idea to just cut away at the poly inner with a knife !
:

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 22 Sep 2015, 17:06

I'll see if they can be cut cheers dave

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 22 Sep 2015, 19:10

Dave wrote:Hi smudge. A few of the IAM lads have autocom headsets which have large in helmet speakers . They trim the edges of the speakers to fit into the recess . One had a helmet , not sure which make , but after trimming the edge of the speaker, it was still a little tight so he compressed the foam inner slightly with a hot spoon . Seem to do the job without damaging anything . Don't think it would be a good idea to just cut away at the poly inner with a knife !
I researched this a little bit as we needed to make a slight alteration to my Mrs crash hat

I'll start by saying (arse covering, lol) making any alteration to your lid is a risk, the best thing is to buy a new lid that does what you need...

In case you want to take the risk... The way I understand it (might be wrong and will almost certainly use the wrong terminology) is that the foam works by compressing, taking energy of the impact away from your brainbox, and spreading it across as wide an area as possible to reduce injury

If you compress a single area by heating a spoon, that one point can't compress in the same way as everything around it, so you risk having a single point in the helmet that will transfer more of the impact energy onto a single point on your head... Not good

What I did was gently sand away the area that was uncomfortable, so the foam was shaped in the right way to the head... Obviously it was a very small amount, a mm or something, the less you remove the better, but it meant the foam was the same consistency across the entire thing

In my opinion that was preferable than having a harder spot, but I'm no expert :)

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 22 Sep 2015, 20:11

See look Image
There's 2 foam parts looks like the black in the recession is the actual helmet safety foam and the upper is just part of comfort as it's split in parts
This is the headset I'm trying to attach
If I cut the foam off speakers they still won't fit if this hole can be made bigger it will fix the problem as speakers quite wide and squashes my head lol
And offered up