Talk about anything bike related.
CRM
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Anyone else get jitters

Post by CRM » 18 Nov 2015, 21:32

get a lighter bike

i have found the heavier the bike the more nervous it gets when in times of cold / damp

A nice low powered light bike will give you often more feel especially if softly sprung. get out and enjoy biking even on low speed weight bikes.
Get a grom
Upgrade your account to VIP status to enable the Signature feature.

johnnyrotten13
Reactions:

Post by johnnyrotten13 » 18 Nov 2015, 22:00

now this may not go down to well but if you are scared of riding perhaps bikes were never your thing,i could loose my legs and would try to ride again.

jaffa1963
Reactions:

Post by jaffa1963 » 19 Nov 2015, 08:41

I agree with what's been said previously. Riding well is partly down to what's inside as well as at external issues like bikes and environment etc.

In summer 2014 I went to Scotland for a week with a group of about 10. When I'd been up there the year before I'd had a ball (that was with Dave). This time I just didn't feel right although I was on the same bike and 6k miles more experienced on it. . My judgement was crap. I was either going too slow and cautiously or riding like i wanted to die. I also didn't feel well as I'd just been diagnosed with high blood pressure. I ended up coming home early because it was like pulling teeth.

It turned out there were two issues; I went to see my GP for a check up on my blood pressure and it was stupidly high, 199/150. This explained why I didn't feel well.
The second issue was more from self analysis. I believe I was trying too hard but without any method or plan of how to improve.

So once my blood pressure was under control I got in touch with Dave and did my IAM on the bike. Best move I ever did. I enjoyed it so much, even though I'm by no means a good rider or confident at being tested, that I then did the car test.

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 19 Nov 2015, 15:22

Well I have been feeling under the weather for a few weeks won't go into that going from a knee down person to how I am now maybe I'll take the 500 for a run just to rule out it being the bike

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

SMUDGER
VIP
Reactions:

Post by SMUDGER » 19 Nov 2015, 22:06

Quick update did only 87 miles on the cb500 it's exactly same it's like I can feelveverything happening with the bike tyre slightest slide the grooves bumps it knocks myvconfidence

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 20 Nov 2015, 07:23

Sounds to me like a vicious cycle you need to break. Go back to basics. Focus on relaxing your grip on the bars, keeping your elbows loose, get away from traffic and pick a windless day.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

pip
VIP
Reactions:

Post by pip » 20 Nov 2015, 20:27

Motorcycling is a very dangerous hobby/pastime.never ever get comfortable with your riding.always expect the unexpected.when you do start to get the jitters, that's a good thing.it's your inner self preservation telling your not invincible. don't worry smudge.just enjoy being safe. it's not a race it's a lifetime of learning. live to ride ride to live.

Dooffle
Reactions:

Post by Dooffle » 20 Nov 2015, 20:40

Cabernet wrote:Sounds to me like a vicious cycle you need to break. Go back to basics. Focus on relaxing your grip on the bars, keeping your elbows loose, get away from traffic and pick a windless day.
Just what I was thinking.
You should let the bike move about under you, remember it will always want to return upright and in a straight line.

Also this time of year I will soften the forks and rear compression to compensate for the colder weather.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 20 Nov 2015, 21:40

Dooffle wrote:
Cabernet wrote:Sounds to me like a vicious cycle you need to break. Go back to basics. Focus on relaxing your grip on the bars, keeping your elbows loose, get away from traffic and pick a windless day.
Just what I was thinking.
You should let the bike move about under you, remember it will always want to return upright and in a straight line.

Also this time of year I will soften the forks and rear compression to compensate for the colder weather.
I was actually thinking a few pound (no more than 4psi) off your tyre pressures too (unless you plan on a prolonged motorway/high speed journey), but yeah suspension too if it's adjustabubble.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Fronkey
Reactions:

Post by Fronkey » 20 Nov 2015, 23:50

It's about accepting the world. Bikes slide and move. I know in the wet my bikes can slide up to a foot in a corner. Find your favourite piece of road and just ride it but you have to relax.

We're out Sunday 22nd if you want to come. No insane speeds just out enjoying the road. Meeting at Lymm at 10.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk