Reactions:
Re: Bike suggestions

Post by Jim27 » 13 Oct 2015, 19:07

Jim27 wrote:Budget is £2,500.
lee wrote:Superduke or tuono v4.

Easy.

Or maybe a 1200 multistrada.
lee wrote:What about a vfr1200 jim?
Dave wrote:surely that would be out of budget lee ?

:lol: :lol:
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 13 Oct 2015, 21:10

ha ha ha ha nice post Jim
:

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 13 Oct 2015, 21:17

Kawasaki Ninja 650R
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Dooffle
Reactions:

Post by Dooffle » 14 Oct 2015, 22:40

Many bikes about for that sort of price. GSF750? Fazer1000s.

Why the hang up with mileage, if it's got less than 20K on a 15 year old bike it's spent most of it's time sitting around, started and run then left to condensate, not serviced for years etc etc.

Mileage of over 30k is fook all on most bikes, we don't live in the years of 2 strokes any more the use of fuel injection and electronic control has vastly extended the life of engines, it reduces inept tinkering.
If you find a great bike, don't let mileage be an issue, this person isn't exactly going to pile the miles on by the sounds of things.

ALL bikes will have small issues that need attention it'll still need servicing, it's the joys of owning a performance vehicle.

Alex A
Reactions:

Post by Alex A » 14 Oct 2015, 23:39

£2500 is more than enough for a tidy Firestorm. Look for standard, and look for post-2002 with the bigger tank. You can tell the later bike as it has a Honda wing logo on the tank, rather than a Firestorm logo. AFAIK, it was only ever released in block colours, and Honda have never released a 'Repsol' version, or any version with a belly pan. If you find one that's been painted, it's worth less, not more.

Couple of things to bear in mind:

- Fuel economy isn't great, but it's not awful either (30-40mpg).
- It's no superbike (or super naked) alternative in the handling stakes, and the suspension is soft and not very adjustable.
- They're not that quick, at ~100bhp. Slower than a good 600cc supersport.
- Mechanically, they can suffer CCT failure, and can have a grabby clutch on launch.

Apart from that, they're grunty, fairly light and nimble, comfortable over long distances, well built, engineered and finished, and very reliable (and simple mechanically). And they sound great with aftermarket exhausts.

I've had two before and I'd have one again.

As mentioned above, another option would be a VFR800Fi, but they don't perform or handle any better than a Firestorm, are much more complicated (V4, linked brakes etc.), and tend to have much higher mileages.

jimmytanko
Reactions:

Post by jimmytanko » 15 Oct 2015, 19:09

He can have my ducati monster 750 for 2k :)

Sent from my SO-01G using Tapatalk

Tomo
Reactions:

Post by Tomo » 19 Oct 2015, 18:13

How about a CBF, Fazer or bandit?
All decent bikes should be plenty powerful enough for your mate Jim.
He would probably get a really tidy one for that budget mate.

Cliff
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Cliff » 26 Oct 2015, 07:52

Definitely agree with the recommendations for Firestorms. I love mine and wouldn't sell it, though other bikes have come and gone.
The suspension is basic, but certainly good enough for the road. I can also live with the fuel range, 100-110 miles or so. I'm ready to stretch my legs by then anyway.
A decent belly pan and set of cans finish it off and make it one of the best sounding bikes out there. The best thing about them is the engine, masses of torque means you can be lazy with the gear changes, and there is plenty of power for the road.
Mine has done weekend rides, touring, TT circuit testing :-) and track days without a problem. With that budget you will get a good one and still have a few quid left to spend on extras.
It's all about the TT ....