Just passed - signed up

Recently joined us? Come in and say hello!
MrMoog
Reactions:
Just passed - signed up

Post by MrMoog » 15 Mar 2017, 15:40

Hello everyone,

I signed up today as this forum was recommended by my brother MRSLIKE who said you're a friendly bunch, he told me a while back to register and I have been browsing the message boards for months but told him I would sign up when I passed which is what I did yesterday and I am over the moon.
So a bit about me,
I live in sunny Morecambe and currently ride a 2014 CBF125. I have always admired bikes but up until 2 years ago the only experience I had was on the back fields on a battered old moped with my mates in our teens. I then got the Honda for commuting to and from work, I used to pedal everywhere but was involved in a hit and run early one morning and to be honest it shook me so that's when a motorbike first entered my head (much to my brothers delight, he's been telling me for years to get one) I told the wife who said why don't you get a car but I just didn't see the point in owning two cars so that was it, totally absolutely hooked and after the 2 years on a CBT I thought I was ready to go for my test.

Not 100% sure on which 1st big bike I should get, I have ridden a Yamaha XJ6 and a Honda Hornet 600 and both felt very different from each other. I am leaning towards a late 90's CBR600 firstly because I like the way it looks and all the reviews I have read/watched say its a great sports tourer with more than enough power for a beginner and very comfy for distance riding. Also like the look of the Thundercat and Kawasaki ER6f.

So yeah Hi all :)

Goosecipher
Reactions:
Re: Just passed - signed up

Post by Goosecipher » 15 Mar 2017, 17:25

MrMoog wrote:Hello everyone,

I signed up today as this forum was recommended by my brother MRSLIKE who said you're a friendly bunch, he told me a while back to register and I have been browsing the message boards for months but told him I would sign up when I passed which is what I did yesterday and I am over the moon.
So a bit about me,
I live in sunny Morecambe and currently ride a 2014 CBF125. I have always admired bikes but up until 2 years ago the only experience I had was on the back fields on a battered old moped with my mates in our teens. I then got the Honda for commuting to and from work, I used to pedal everywhere but was involved in a hit and run early one morning and to be honest it shook me so that's when a motorbike first entered my head (much to my brothers delight, he's been telling me for years to get one) I told the wife who said why don't you get a car but I just didn't see the point in owning two cars so that was it, totally absolutely hooked and after the 2 years on a CBT I thought I was ready to go for my test.

Not 100% sure on which 1st big bike I should get, I have ridden a Yamaha XJ6 and a Honda Hornet 600 and both felt very different from each other. I am leaning towards a late 90's CBR600 firstly because I like the way it looks and all the reviews I have read/watched say its a great sports tourer with more than enough power for a beginner and very comfy for distance riding. Also like the look of the Thundercat and Kawasaki ER6f.

So yeah Hi all :)
Hello, and welcome, I'm pretty much new here myself. Congrats on passing your test!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaffa1963
Reactions:

Post by jaffa1963 » 15 Mar 2017, 18:00

Hiya mate.

If I were you, before I buy a bigger bike, I'd try out as many different bikes as I can to see what floats your boat and feels right for you.

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 15 Mar 2017, 18:39

Hi ya and welcome.
All solid bikes, but as a first bike I'd recommend a twin. Much more rider friendly. CB500 or ER6 or MT-07.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

MR SLIKE
Reactions:

Post by MR SLIKE » 15 Mar 2017, 19:34

Good to see ya on here at last bro [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 15 Mar 2017, 19:51

welcome , enjoy your new hobby
:

Ryan92
Reactions:

Post by Ryan92 » 15 Mar 2017, 20:47

Hello!

I've just got a CBR600, early 00's rather than late 90s (fuel injection rather than carbs). I have to say it's very good, enjoying every minute of it :). I always wanted a sports bike though and it does not dissapoint!

Northern Biker
Reactions:

Post by Northern Biker » 15 Mar 2017, 23:11

Welcome and congratulations on the pass.

MrMoog
Reactions:

Post by MrMoog » 16 Mar 2017, 08:36

Thank you very much for the warm welcome, So I rang my insurance company last night off the back of my bro's advice and asked for a quote on a CBR out of interest. Turns out Hastings will not insure a rider of less than 3 years experience on certain bikes and the CBR was one of them. I did tell them I'm reaching nearly 40 years of age but they said sorry no can do.
Comparing other quotes on Meerkat I can get insured on CBR, Ninja and other similar bikes but £450+ for the year is just silly so I'll leave that style of bike for now, maybe in the future when I have a couple years under my belt.
So many bikes, love it! did I mention how happy I am at passing yet? :D

Ryan92
Reactions:

Post by Ryan92 » 16 Mar 2017, 09:07

I thought £500 for the year on my CBR was good, I paid more on my 125 last year :o