Love this r1. I'm so veering (in choices), all over the plac

Enough Said!
pch1
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Love this r1. I'm so veering (in choices), all over the

Post by pch1 » 03 Sep 2015, 09:17

keith powell wrote:Wow. Thank you all. I totally understand and good advice. Just loved the look of the bike but true not going to get the advantage so yes maybe a 400 to 600 is the best option. When I first came on here over a year ago I had an idea I would get a comfy ride when I passed but now I have broadened my views mainly due to the great advice you all give. Your experience and knowledge is why I post things to learn not just how to ride but to enjoy the ride and grow with the ride. There are some fantastic bikes out there and some within my price aswell. It's just finding the one I will never want to get off. I love riding my 125 as it is. :)
Got to admit though it's a real sexy bit of kit. :)

sent from somewhere in the uk
Don't get talked into buying one of those dodgy 400 cc bikes from yesteryear, by anyone wearing rose tinted spectacles Image Modern 300 cc machines seem to be very capable - Lister (Rob) would keep up with us on his 250 cc ninja at the time.

Besides, you don't need a big bike to have fun; I've been looking at http://www.c90adventures.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ListerTheStupid
Reactions:

Post by ListerTheStupid » 03 Sep 2015, 10:50

I've just got a new 125 and looking to get a 300 either yam or kawa. Going back in time. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 03 Sep 2015, 12:45

ListerTheStupid wrote:I've just got a new 125 and looking to get a 300 either yam or kawa. Going back in time. Haha
Must admit, got one eye on the MT-03 (320cc twin), the other on the XSR700 and the Jap's eye on a V7.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

jimmytanko
Reactions:

Post by jimmytanko » 03 Sep 2015, 16:41

XSR700 or ducati scrambler would get my pennies if I had any spare

Sent from my SO-01G using Tapatalk

bladeaddict
Reactions:

Post by bladeaddict » 03 Sep 2015, 18:53

Soviet wrote:...I rode big GSX / GSXRs back in the day (graduating via 550s) - more recently I ran a Hornet which was licence-losing-fast-enough...last few years I've been riding a CB1R - still hooligan enough and more than enough power to keep up with more or less anything except where the rider has an advance order in for a coffin.

Depends what you want to do - touring, there's loads of kit. Trackday tearaway, then there's anything from 600/750/1000...

On the road, I generally see a few types of sports riders
(i) those who really should be on a 400 (and would struggle to thrash even that) and wobble round corners
(ii) weekend nutters who just go bananas - makes no difference if it's a Ford Focus ST or a Fireblade - they will go fast until they hit something - a good number of these wobble round corners too
(iii) Experienced riders who put on the miles but soon get bored of the riding position and only ever being able to reasonably harness 50% of the bikes potential on UK roads...

Would I say no to a R1 - never ! But I'd soon get fed up of fretting over my licence and not being able to really push it on the highway !

I'd be conservative and say dabble with some darn quick 600s first...

...the choice is yours !
100% agree with iii now sold my blade and ride this

Can now rev it without fear of prison or hospital Image

keith powell
VIP
Reactions:

Post by keith powell » 03 Sep 2015, 22:40

Cabernet wrote:
ListerTheStupid wrote:I've just got a new 125 and looking to get a 300 either yam or kawa. Going back in time. Haha
Must admit, got one eye on the MT-03 (320cc twin), the other on the XSR700 and the Jap's eye on a V7.
Isn't that a bit narrow vision Cab?

Stumoores
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Stumoores » 03 Sep 2015, 23:08

170kg 170bhp is about right for me thanks
Revving the bollox off it since 1982

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 04 Sep 2015, 06:19

keith powell wrote:
Cabernet wrote:
Isn't that a bit narrow vision Cab?

Discerningly refined I would put it as.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Fronkey
Reactions:

Post by Fronkey » 05 Sep 2015, 21:53

Sorry read through this again. 125 to R1 not great. the R1 is the kind of machine which will spit you into the scenery without blinking an eye. I'd been on bikes 15 years before I'd ridden one and it blew my mine. I've just got an 07 R1 and had to recalibrate my brain again. To put it in perspective the R1's rev counter don't kick in till 7k unfortunately even in 1st gear your doing over 60. It will do 104mph in first gear. It's not a practical road bike. I only keep mine on the road because I take it to Spain where the roads are bigger and you can see further.

I prefer to ride my 800 vfr on the road as it's usable. Don't be pulled into the idea that big bikes are best. On our roads they ain't.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 06 Sep 2015, 00:23

ListerTheStupid wrote:
Cabernet wrote:
ListerTheStupid wrote:Hence why I sold the Z.... Can't use it, little 125 will be more fun.
You just went to big to quick.

I see so many riders on big bikes that clearly have missed the light middleweight and middleweight brackets.
I have yet to own a 100 bhp machine. Just never had the need or desire.

Keith, think carefully.
Do you want the best bike quickly or to be a great rider quickly?
The two rarely go hand in hand IMHO.
Not really, I had a 125 for a year, had the 250r for four years, learnt my trade so to speak on that. Easily keep up with 600/750cc machines on twisty bits. Got the z1000, a right hoot... Handles like a dream and all the torque you could ask for.

Down side!!! Drank like a Irish drunk. No need for the power on UK roads. Used everyday for work run...

In my opinion there is no need for bikes to be over 600cc for road/commuters, YOU CANT USE THE POWER!

A 250/300cc is the golden number/s even for weekend blasts.

A 125cc for commuting and a 300cc for fun days out.

Leave the 600/750/1000cc for track days.

i'm with Rob. Just bought my MV and its only 800cc. But bugger me its ridiculously quick and i haven't been past 5k.

The RVF i had was plenty quick enough and only a 400cc, 69BHP and almost matching torque curve made it an incredible bike to ride, 600cc is more than enough i rekon.