Taking the big beemer offroad for the first time!

Enough Said!
BigDan1190
VIP
Reactions:

Post by BigDan1190 » 04 Mar 2016, 00:16

Hi all,

I know generally vloggers get shit on forums, but i find it rewarding to make and edit the videos. I find these offroading videos much better to watch than some 17 year old riding around london filtering and squeeling, so hopefully my own will go down ok.

Part 1 (finding the lane and a walkaround of the bike with its mods) - https://youtu.be/stFn7Gah6GM

Part 2 (1st attempt, spoiler warning, its not super interesting) - https://youtu.be/zwmSsTkrbOU

Part 3 (went much better, almost worth watching ) - https://youtu.be/_CenhMFNjus

The lane location - https://i.imgur.com/MbMTlMt.png

If anyone could let me know of any similar lanes (more gravel/rocky than muddy) that'd be much appreciated! Better yet, a riding buddy would be awesome.

Thanks guys,
Dan

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 04 Mar 2016, 20:57

Wow! Did you bottom out at any point? Or scrape the underside? I've scrapes on full width speed bumps a fair few times now :/ would love to take my MV off roading (ish) probably put the standard longer (ergo lifted) links back on first though

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Taking the big beemer offroad for the first time!

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 04 Mar 2016, 21:09

Actually balls to that, if your feet where nowhere near the floor and i want to jack mine up i may aswell go roller skating down coronation street and break my legs now haha

BigDan1190
VIP
Reactions:

Post by BigDan1190 » 05 Mar 2016, 18:35

Haa, i must say the camera doesn't do either the inclines or the size of the rocks justice. And i definately wouldn't be taking your beautiful MV offroad, its a pretty bike that won't scar well. The Beemer takes scars like its service history.

Did bottom out on a couple of things but i guess thats what the sump guard is for. I might not have done if i weren't so heavy though, considering i'm roughly 150KG, thats like riding it 2up for normal sized people!

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 05 Mar 2016, 19:22

True, i'm 50kg lighter :/ mine bottoms out on speed bumps sometimes though, haven't checked the sump guard as i don't really want to know if it fecked after 3 months already haha

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 05 Mar 2016, 19:46

BigDan1190 wrote:Haa, i must say the camera doesn't do either the inclines or the size of the rocks justice. And i definately wouldn't be taking your beautiful MV offroad, its a pretty bike that won't scar well. The Beemer takes scars like its service history.

Did bottom out on a couple of things but i guess thats what the sump guard is for. I might not have done if i weren't so heavy though, considering i'm roughly 150KG, thats like riding it 2up for normal sized people!
what engine mode and ESA setting do you ride off road on Dan? do you have the enduro pro chip ? this works on the traction control and adjusts the ESA for better suspension
:

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Cabernet » 06 Mar 2016, 06:47

You need to get on an off-road course to build your confidence. Not bad for a 1st out mind.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

BigDan1190
VIP
Reactions:

Post by BigDan1190 » 07 Mar 2016, 02:29

Cabernet wrote:You need to get on an off-road course to build your confidence. Not bad for a 1st out mind.
Yes indeed, most likely will be joining you in May. BMW course later in the year.

Dave wrote:what engine mode and ESA setting do you ride off road on Dan? do you have the enduro pro chip ? this works on the traction control and adjusts the ESA for better suspension
Don't think I have riding modes, that would be news to me!
ESA I set it on the taller of the 2 mountains, and hard rather than soft.
Don't think it has Enduro Pro but there were a few extras the previous owner forgot to mention so it might be on there. How would I check? I know it has traction control and ABS but i didn't turn either of these off for the ride.

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 07 Mar 2016, 07:38

You will enjoy the Simon Pavey course in South Wales if your doing that .

enduro pro is a chip that you put into the bike , it's designed to work the bikes TC and suspension settings for off road . It's not available on early models , not sure how old yours is .

Don't turn the TC off for riding trials, it's a safety feature to let the wheel have control if it starts to slip under acceleration . I'm sure the pros turn it off later
The different engine ride modes alter the suspension , ESA and TC , for the terrain your riding .
Great first vid , plenty of trail tracks in the Dales that the GSA is home on . CJ posted a good vid , couple of years back riding off road on one of those bikes .
:

C-J
Reactions:

Post by C-J » 07 Mar 2016, 09:26

Aye I had a brief foray with a bye way on here

http://youtu.be/fkUe43gRy0E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Confidence is the key, and the BMW off-road course gave that to me, along with some technical skills. Proper knoblies really help. I could never get used to how much the bike moves around in the dirt, and it's only with others setting the example you can get that trust. I preferred the 1200 off road to the other bikes, just because you can point it at almost anything and it will go over it or through it. The 800 and 650 felt a bit too flighty...