2001 CBR600 F4i - Refresh

Share any projects that you've undertaken, or modifications made to your bike.
AlexGSi2000
Reactions:
2001 CBR600 F4i - Refresh

Post by AlexGSi2000 » 11 Jun 2015, 15:40

Thought I would start a project thread and share some pictures.

I purchased the bike as my first in April 2014 shortly after passing the mod 1 test.
I won the bike on ebay from a local seller for a good price, it had been enthousiast owned and then used as a commuter for a little while, so needed some TLC to restore its former glory, the price and mileage reflected this - 32,000 miles when I purchased.

Was a winner for me too, as im quite keen with the spanners, having previously only worked on cars, I fancied twirling the spanners a little before passing the Mod 2 test.
The initial work started with basic maintenance, oil & filter, coolant change.etc so it was ready for riding when I passed.

I had a good few months riding the bike (around 2500 miles) before getting a little more involved with the maintenance.

I will shut up and let the pictures do the talking;

The day I purchased the bike and a friend rode it back for me - Probably one of the happiest days of my life!

Fairings and pannels off exposed some funky "twist n tape" wiring - which explained a few electrical issues the bike had. The bad bits were cut out and made good;

Added a proper set of resistors and LEDs;

Next to come was a Delkevic can (cheapest unit I could find) as I wanted rid of the standard rocketlauncher. I since found out that the bike had a set of delkevic downpipes on, so the can completed the system. With the baffle in the noise can be quite tedious under normal conditions, but the bike really screams under load at higher revs;

November 2014 was when some of the real work began, to get the bike nice and crisp for 2015.

New tyres - BT021, chain and sprockets and some custom "blatter" standmounts;

New head-bearings and a tidy up of the yoke;

Front calipers re-sealed, there were a few sticky pistons between the pair;

Valves shimmed - not too bad for a 34k bike!

Fork oil & seals replaced, body sprayed grey;

First start after the valve shimming, thought I had done something badly wrong as the bike was flaming and banging after every blip - found that I had not connected the air-injection valve! :roll: Tempted to switch the valve so I can flame on demand, but not sure if I would cause damage?

Back together in March 2015;

I now need to focus on learning how to ride and tip the bike properly!
The next additions on the cards are an Ohlins steering damper and rear shock, along with some gilles rearsets. A good friend of mine is selling his F4i, so putting back to standard.
I know I cant ride well enough to make use of any of the above parts, but the price for the lot is at an offer I cannot refuse!

RockSteady
Reactions:
Re: 2001 CBR600 F4i - Refresh

Post by RockSteady » 11 Jun 2015, 17:19

get yourself to three sisters charity track day next month.£10 for ten laps .it will help you learn a lot about the bike and your cornering.its a small track but loads of fun

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 11 Jun 2015, 18:00

looks like a nice job you're doing there - great bike for building experience and confidence on !

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 11 Jun 2015, 18:56

Excellent thread. Brill bike too
: