Mito 443

Share any projects that you've undertaken, or modifications made to your bike.
Woody
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Mito 443

Post by Woody » 05 Aug 2015, 21:17

Yazza, i don't come on here much anymore but your thread keeps me intrigued whilst I'm here, keep up the great work!
Current - KTM SuperDuke 1290R
Past - Tuono Factory / Fireblade 929RR / Tuono1060R / SV650s2 / SV650s1 / Fazer6

pch1
VIP
Reactions:

Post by pch1 » 06 Aug 2015, 10:31

yazza5454 wrote:Having rode it the other weekend highlighted a few things needing some attention. As I've already mentioned I modified the fairing so I could move the clip ons back up, they fouled on full lock before - having rode it now it's infinitely more comfortable than it was last week. Also done some fibre glassing on the seat so it fits round the tank now.

Changed the chain adjuster bolts, the ones I had in were m8 but had a 10mm head, the mito adjuster blocks have a little recess and it pulled the head of the bolt into it so every time I adjusted it the fucking thing just went loose again so just put some normal m8 13mm head bolts in.

Another thing I noticed was it had leaked a bit of coolant, turned out when I fitted the clutch cover the o ring that goes on the tube that goes into the back of the water pump got damaged, so off that came, about 15 quid worth of gear oil dumped but at least it gave me a chance to check whether there was any crap in there, looked clean enough. New o ring, gear oil and full coolant change done.

The steering head bearings weren't torqued properly, re did that and now I can happily sit back and roll along none handed and it tracks dead straight.

Fuelling wise it's still rich and has to clear its throat a little bit much more rideable now, I don't want to lean it off any more until it's been on the dyno.

I rode to my mates and had no wrist or back ache at all, spot on. Did notice it felt a little vague front end, added a bit more rebound and it feels great now. It's so light it's telepathic. I'm really quite pleased with how it feels now, it's more confidence inspiring to ride than my Zx6 track bike.

Also considering it's still not set up properly it's now quite happy to roll on and whilst it's very brutal and rather sudden when it does come on the power, the mid range really ain't that bad and will only get better once the ignition is mapped and carbs are fully jetted.

Very happy, it feels like a different bike to last week.
A good read as per usual! Image

yazza5454
Reactions:

Post by yazza5454 » 16 Aug 2015, 20:14

Been doing minor bits and bobs, tidying things etc. Had to do some more fairing mods as they were still fouling the kickstarter and on inspection the clutch cover was digging in the belly pan so made a little window..

Unfortunately the cans came a little loose so put some extra rivets in the end, can't tell but gotta be twice as sturdy. Also made a bracket to give the stingers some support as the last thing I want is the welds cracking from the spannies to the cans. It's a bloody long bracket but the seat will cover a fair bit of it when it's back on. It's now ready for the dyno next sat.

Also been playing with the carbs as I have a large flat spot with it being to weak mid range - I tried the needle that Martin @ mad biker uses in his older style TMX carbs and it ran fucking awful. I put that down to them not being compatible with my later style TMX carbs, I couldn't find a definitive answer whether they were interchangeable, even allens performance didn't really know. Then from chatting to allens performance I realised I was probably using a totally different needle jet, had a chat with Martin and it turned out that mine was waaaay bigger than his so it wasn't compatible with the needle. Changed those and it runs well, quite confident I have a base to work with on the dyno now. Bit of a mixed bag my dealings with allens - one of the blokes I spoke to basically said to me that if I didn't know exactly what jets I needed I may as well give up and get rid of the bike or buy loads of random needles to try even though I'd already said I'd tried a thinner one. Next time I got the older bloke and he said straight away you either need to stick with the needle you have and get a bigger needle jet or go with the needle you've been told works well and get the matching needle jet - very helpful and job done, on my door mat the next day.

As can be expected there have been some teething probs - the SV650 Gen 1 radiator doesn't really seem big enough, it's being blocked a fair bit by the big upside down forks and it looks like the front tyre has touched it, when I fitted the rad fan it had to be pushed out a little which has put it more in line with the front tyre, no good. Fortunately the Gen 2 SV650 rad will go straight on, is a bit shorter for more clearance and a fair bit wider, luckily I have width to play with. With a slightly smaller fan and that radiator I reckon I'm sorted. Shame but shit happens. Apart from that everything seems good, it rides nice but with the big flat spot I've had and bearing in mind I've been shaking it down I've not gone mad, but happy with where I'm at. Fairings are now off for paint and the bike is all ready for the carbs to be sorted and ignition mapped up.

Clarkey
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Clarkey » 16 Aug 2015, 20:42

yazza5454 wrote:Been doing minor bits and bobs, tidying things etc. Had to do some more fairing mods as they were still fouling the kickstarter and on inspection the clutch cover was digging in the belly pan so made a little window..

Unfortunately the cans came a little loose so put some extra rivets in the end, can't tell but gotta be twice as sturdy. Also made a bracket to give the stingers some support as the last thing I want is the welds cracking from the spannies to the cans. It's a bloody long bracket but the seat will cover a fair bit of it when it's back on. It's now ready for the dyno next sat.

Also been playing with the carbs as I have a large flat spot with it being to weak mid range - I tried the needle that Martin @ mad biker uses in his older style TMX carbs and it ran fucking awful. I put that down to them not being compatible with my later style TMX carbs, I couldn't find a definitive answer whether they were interchangeable, even allens performance didn't really know. Then from chatting to allens performance I realised I was probably using a totally different needle jet, had a chat with Martin and it turned out that mine was waaaay bigger than his so it wasn't compatible with the needle. Changed those and it runs well, quite confident I have a base to work with on the dyno now. Bit of a mixed bag my dealings with allens - one of the blokes I spoke to basically said to me that if I didn't know exactly what jets I needed I may as well give up and get rid of the bike or buy loads of random needles to try even though I'd already said I'd tried a thinner one. Next time I got the older bloke and he said straight away you either need to stick with the needle you have and get a bigger needle jet or go with the needle you've been told works well and get the matching needle jet - very helpful and job done, on my door mat the next day.

As can be expected there have been some teething probs - the SV650 Gen 1 radiator doesn't really seem big enough, it's being blocked a fair bit by the big upside down forks and it looks like the front tyre has touched it, when I fitted the rad fan it had to be pushed out a little which has put it more in line with the front tyre, no good. Fortunately the Gen 2 SV650 rad will go straight on, is a bit shorter for more clearance and a fair bit wider, luckily I have width to play with. With a slightly smaller fan and that radiator I reckon I'm sorted. Shame but shit happens. Apart from that everything seems good, it rides nice but with the big flat spot I've had and bearing in mind I've been shaking it down I've not gone mad, but happy with where I'm at. Fairings are now off for paint and the bike is all ready for the carbs to be sorted and ignition mapped up.
Excellent, I think the window in the fairing actually looks quite cool on the bike

yazza5454
Reactions:

Post by yazza5454 » 16 Aug 2015, 21:34

Thanks I like it too, can't say I'm pleased with the exhaust hanger I keep looking at it, have to see what it looks like with the seat back on. Not much other options for mounting points and id be happier with it fitted. Needs some shape or something.

pch1
VIP
Reactions:

Post by pch1 » 17 Aug 2015, 08:47

I enjoy reading this thread and can't wait to see the final product and paint scheme.

Keep up the good work!

CRM
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CRM » 17 Aug 2015, 14:01

this is fab, now all it needs is a classic scheme IMO - speed blocks for the win.
Upgrade your account to VIP status to enable the Signature feature.

pch1
VIP
Reactions:

Post by pch1 » 17 Aug 2015, 14:10

CRM wrote:this is fab, now all it needs is a classic scheme IMO - speed blocks for the win.
Back to the hey days of Lucky Strike, Rothmans and Winston cigarettes paint schemes Image

CRM
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CRM » 17 Aug 2015, 14:22

i have a personal love of the Rothmans scheme but not on everything, however i still think the Rothmans OE scheme on the MC28 is the prettiest bike i have still ever seen
Upgrade your account to VIP status to enable the Signature feature.

yazza5454
Reactions:

Post by yazza5454 » 17 Aug 2015, 20:07

Current plan is Yamaha pearlescent blue like my old R1 and then mess about with some different ideas, speed blocks being one of them. I'm also thinking of designing a bit of a mash up of Yamaha and Cagiva logos for decals.

Anyone any good on photoshop??

Also had another look at the bike and tbh the exhaust hanger doesn't look bad in the flesh, there is a bit of shape to it where I've folded it round the pipes and kinked in the middle just can't really tell from the pic. Plus with the seat hiding about 4 inches of it I'm sure it'll look totally different. One things certain, it's made a massive difference to the quality of fit on the pipes.