Bandit Refurb

Share any projects that you've undertaken, or modifications made to your bike.
lee711
Reactions:
Bandit Refurb

Post by lee711 » 04 Apr 2015, 22:57

Got myself an 03 naked Bandit back in November to use a a commuter and winter hack. Now seeing as the weather has warmed and the salt has gone I thought it was time to get the Tuono out of hibernation and start on 'Project Bandit Refurb'. She's a good solid machine but suffering from years of neglect and poor maintenance.

The list of to do's :-
Full front and rear brake caliper rebuild.
Braided brake lines.
Re-chrome fork stanchions.
New fork seals.
Fix 2 snapped header bolts.
Address issue with oil cooler hoses (became apparent after fitting new oil cooler).
New chain and sprockets

So the front cailpers got stripped and the first major problem was seized pad retaining pins. Couldn't get them out so was forced to make a caliper modification by drilling a hole through the caliper body directly behind the blind hole for the retaining pins and knock them out with a drift. After they were removed the calipers got stripped,cleaned and overhauled, the pistons removed and cleaned and polished, new seals and pads and a set of stainless pad pins fitted. They are now rokckin' and ready to go.

Next up the rear caliper and this was worse than the front. Again a seized pad pin, so went down the same route as for the front. When it came to removing the pistons the rear unit has to be split by removing 2 bolts holding the caliper together. 8mm allen head bolt completely rounded out. Hammered home a spine drive but it just would not budge and started to spin, so out with the dremel, i cut 2 flat sides off the head of the bolt and put it in the bench vice, then using a big pair of stilson grips, slowly started to get the fecker undone, 12 years of grime, cack, salt and corrosion held that sucker tight but i got it out. As before cleaned and polished pistons, new pads, O rings and a fresh shiny pair of stainless bolts to hold the caliper back together and they too are ready to rock.

After

lee711
Reactions:
Re: Bandit Refurb

Post by lee711 » 04 Apr 2015, 23:37

Next up was the menial task of removing 2 sheared exhaust studs, thanks to some advice from fellow forum member Carl (Bloke) a set of left hand drills were purchased and the first one went well .................. then came the second. Something wasn't right here, and after drilling a pilot hole and using a set of stud extractors, the second stud came right out with ease.................. and then some oil ?????????? I shone a torch into the hole and could see through to the rocker cover. After a major strip down the rocker cover was removed and all became clear. A previous botched stud extraction had seen a hole drilled through the wall of the cylinder head, which had then been tapped, had a bolt screwed in and then cut flush.
So now i have to remove the cylinder head, order a replacement off ebay, which turned up with a full cam and valve train. I'm replacing this with the original heads running gear as i know this has only done 15K but have left the valves in and sent the head off to have the valve seats ground to ensure a good tight fit and new valve stem oil seals.
Whilst the head is away i've removed the old chain and sprockets and pulled the engine out to give it a good de-grease, clean and spray touch-up to match the sprayed rocker cover, this didn't go to bad to be honest, I only had to cut off one seized and rounded frame bolt, which are all being replaced with stainless items anyway. I also removed the headlight support bracket and sprayed that and the rear brake torsion arm.
ImageImage

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 05 Apr 2015, 08:33

great thread Lee….must have taken ages to upload all those Pics !!!! looking forward to seeing the finished article ..Can i ask what you paid for the bike ? contd ?, mileage etc back in Nov ….the engines in these seems really good and strong
:

Paul m0kdm
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Paul m0kdm » 05 Apr 2015, 13:06

johnwirral
Reactions:

Post by johnwirral » 06 Apr 2015, 20:30

Got some mirrors somewhere if you needed a set, plus set of coils and fuel tap rebuild kit. Your welcome to.

cupidstunt
VIP
Reactions:

Post by cupidstunt » 10 Apr 2015, 18:42

:geek: HEAD PERVERT :geek:

Jim27
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Jim27 » 10 Apr 2015, 22:46

Great thread. Absolutely love this sort of thing :)
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.

lee711
Reactions:

Post by lee711 » 11 Apr 2015, 20:32

Picked the head up from the engineers this morning, they did a cracking job, bedded the valves in, fitted new stem oil seals and gave it real good clean up, very happy. So i've fitted the rockers and shafts back in, and carb rubbers.
Fitted a nice shiney set of blanking plates as i'm not refitting the Pair system.

REMOVED
Account Deactivated By User Request
Reactions:

Post by REMOVED » 11 Apr 2015, 22:31

Will look sweet when all done looking forward to see the end result.

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 13 Apr 2015, 22:48

Very nice Lee. Who did the head work? I've a few bikes that could do with the same treatment