Engine cleaning

Having a bit of trouble? Maybe we can help.
Jim27
VIP
Reactions:
Re: Engine cleaning

Post by Jim27 » 03 Sep 2015, 10:18

Diesel is probably the best all-round degreaser but you need to agitate it. Parrafin is also good. I don't put much stock in the fancy brand-name cleaners - most are just tarted up simple cleaning solutions where the simple and original product does 95% of the same work for 10% of the cost. It's like boutique plastic restorer - £10+ from a car retailer or buy yourself a 60p tub of smooth peanut butter instead. Has 95% the same ingredients and does exactly the same for a fraction of the cost.
Jim's words of wisdom:
We're here for a good time, not a long time.
The power to change your life comes from taking total responsibility for it.

rumpoldstilskin
VIP
Reactions:

Post by rumpoldstilskin » 08 Sep 2015, 23:41

Jim27 wrote:Diesel is probably the best all-round degreaser but you need to agitate it. Parrafin is also good. I don't put much stock in the fancy brand-name cleaners - most are just tarted up simple cleaning solutions where the simple and original product does 95% of the same work for 10% of the cost. It's like boutique plastic restorer - £10+ from a car retailer or buy yourself a 60p tub of smooth peanut butter instead. Has 95% the same ingredients and does exactly the same for a fraction of the cost.
Peanut butter- who knew

As for cleaning, paraffin is my top choice albeit an expensive one that is difficult to filter and re-use.

DO NOT USE PETROL!!! Its works almost instantly but it will make some rubbers expand.

What i use, cat litter tray full of parafin under the bike engine/chain and tooth brushes from Tesco (19p for 2) ergo 22 for £2 = no scratches, minimal residue and a clean bike/chain

BigDan1190
VIP
Reactions:

Post by BigDan1190 » 24 Sep 2015, 13:55

lee wrote:Bollocks.
Been using it for years and never had any issues.
Cbr chain is on about 23k miles.
Sd on 18k since I bought bike (chain already on it).

Im guessing you have actually used it and suffered a failure as a direct result and not just repeated what someone else told you?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Erm, the word DEGREASER just so happens to be in the title. I'd rather not de-grease the grease that is in the o rings. tar

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 24 Sep 2015, 18:38

BigDan1190 wrote:
lee wrote:Bollocks.
Been using it for years and never had any issues.
Cbr chain is on about 23k miles.
Sd on 18k since I bought bike (chain already on it).

Im guessing you have actually used it and suffered a failure as a direct result and not just repeated what someone else told you?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Erm, the word DEGREASER just so happens to be in the title. I'd rather not de-grease the grease that is in the o rings. tar
That's kind of the point of the o rings.