three chain tightens

Having a bit of trouble? Maybe we can help.
keith powell
VIP
Reactions:
three chain tightens

Post by keith powell » 06 Jun 2015, 01:30

I have to say, ive done three chain tightens so far and i'm happy to report all well so far. I did 60 down the formby Bypass and all seemed good to me. I don't have a paddock stand for my bike as it's a 125 so a bit thin i guess, so use the center stand.

Enjoying doing a bit of mechanics and would welcome any feedback. 'Im not sure when to do an oil change so would like any advice?

i've done 7500 km in the last yr and it (lexi) was serviced about 2 months ago, where i believe a full oil, brakes blah blah was done. However I would like to do these things myself and sort of get a feel for the things as and when they are needed as i do feel a resposivness when they are done, and to know i had made that happen would add to the enjoyment of riding. Plus it doesn't hurt to know a bit either.

So i may be a newbie but ive been riding a yr now, (so FB tells me), and thats been all yr, the rain, and snow and all that crap so i think i can enjoy the fair weather riding with a little bit of pride too. :)

Marco
Reactions:
three chain tightens

Post by Marco » 06 Jun 2015, 04:10

Oil and filter change is easy enough no special tools required oil drain bolt on the bottom of the engine block warm bike up a bit to drain the oil easier. Put summit under to catch old oil once it's all drained use a screw driver to stab through the old oil filter and unscrew. Bit of oil on the seal of the new filter and screw on finger tight replace drain bolt and refill oil to the level if u have a window or a dip stick run the engine till it's warm let it cool and sit for a bit and check oil level again job done

Cabernet
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Re: three chain tightens

Post by Cabernet » 06 Jun 2015, 05:56

Marco is speaking of an external filter which not all bikes have.
I prefer to use a belt wrench to remove them and tighten them with a pensioners jam jar opener.
I'll post a pic later. Small Suzuki have a different style retained u der a cover at the side of the engine.
Small block Moto Guzzi the sump has to be removed and big blocks have a filter retaining plate in the sump.

A 125 works hard for it's living. They don't take a huge amount of oil either. There for an oil change every 2000 to 3000 miles would be kind. As a courier I would chain mine oil half way through the life of the back tyre, and oil and filter every rear tyre change. Once had a CB500 that I bought with 33000 on it. The only service work on the engine done was oil and filer as above. Not even a spark plug change. Sold it with 89000. Ran like new and had good mpg.
A Kentish man living in Manchester.

"As soon as he (Tozzi) started with the personal remarks I assumed he was struggling with the rest of his case", Ross Brawn 2009,

Fronkey
Reactions:

Post by Fronkey » 06 Jun 2015, 09:04

Cbr 125 (05 model) doesn't have an oil filter.

posted by flying monkeys

keith powell
VIP
Reactions:

Post by keith powell » 17 Jun 2015, 21:01

Kool. Ty all. I can't see an oil filter. Oil was changed at last full service at shop. I'd have to check the date but was only a few months ago. I've done about 8k km so far and haven't done 3k since service. The next thing I suppose will be tyres and brakes. :)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk