broken chain mystery

Having a bit of trouble? Maybe we can help.
ned
Reactions:
broken chain mystery

Post by ned » 12 Apr 2015, 10:53

went to the scotchy on wednesday and had a broken chain on my zx9. It looks like the chain didn't just fail it fractured then gave up later as you can see from the rust where the link has cracked . Bit weird. Anyone seen a failure like this before.

ListerTheStupid
Reactions:
Re: broken chain mystery

Post by ListerTheStupid » 12 Apr 2015, 10:56

Did it proper tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ned
Reactions:

Post by ned » 12 Apr 2015, 11:02

Oh yes. Very lucky I was only doing 3 mph when it let go and did no damege to me or bike. I clocked about fast speed :D on Rainford bypass less than 10 mins earlier and could have been very messy.

ListerTheStupid
Reactions:

Post by ListerTheStupid » 12 Apr 2015, 11:30

ned wrote:Oh yes. Very lucky I was only doing 3 mph when it let go and did no damege to me or bike. I clocked about fast speed, :D on Rainford bypass less than 10 mins earlier and could have been very messy.
very lucky... could have been much worse...

not a clue how it snap like that tho, must have been weakened by something..

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 12 Apr 2015, 11:40

how old is the chain ? mileage etc ? some clue on the rust maybe ? very very lucky probably twice , as there was an unmarked police car operating on the Rainford bypass on weds !!…glad it went at 3mph and not the high speed .

For a replacement get the best you can afford not a chinese one
:

Soviet
VIP
Reactions:

Post by Soviet » 12 Apr 2015, 12:35

Glad it didn't damage anything etc - looking at the photo the chain does not look to be in very good condition (lots of grunge in the rollers, plates and o rings and corrosion) - was it a brand item or budget chain ?

lee
Reactions:

Post by lee » 12 Apr 2015, 13:26

Seen a similar one a few years back.
A tight link had caused the chain side plate to stress and had cracked.
The pin pulled out on one side and then it was just a matter of time.
Looked exactly like your chain.

ned
Reactions:

Post by ned » 12 Apr 2015, 15:01

The chain was only 12 months old. It looks grotty cos I used an acid cleaner on it last year which took some of the gold coating off and I will confess to not lubing it as often as I should. I had a pretty big off last september on the left side and replaced full faring stator and casing left bar left rear set and pilion peg. I went over the bike in fine detail before going back on the road. I didn't see anything suspicious on the chain but I suppose it is possible an impact on the kerb or something may have stressed the failed link .I am going to change the rear sticker aswell now just incase.

ned
Reactions:

Post by ned » 12 Apr 2015, 15:09

Are the budget chain really as poor quality as a lot of people make out. Has anyone ever had a chain fail. This was a cheap ish one from M&B where I have bought lots of bike bits and never had any quality issues.

Dave
Reactions:

Post by Dave » 12 Apr 2015, 15:40

ned Ive send you a PM .

yeah the cheap chains even come in different quality too , the chinese ones are worse than this from Taiwan for example . Its one of those you get what you pay for items unfortunatley
: